Super Contributor

Has anyone ever have a scalp biopsy?

I.m due to have one in a few weeks.But i have googled this procedure and have read from others that it isn't worth it.I have been having shedding issues for so long and every test i have taken comes back as perfect.So the derm. suggested a scalp biopsy.My problem is will it find why i am shedding or will it just tell what kind of hairloss that it is.I don't want to pay for something that will not help.Also my mother is 70 and she has more hair than i do since this shedding started,So any help from you ladies will be very much appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever have a scalp biopsy?

I'd have it since it is more information on your hair loss or scalp condition.

Super Contributor

Yes, I've had one. They tested me for Lupus with a scalp biopsy. Lupus can cause balding in the form of bald patches. I didn't have Lupus, but it took awhile for the bald spot from the biopsy to disappear.

Frequent Contributor

It could be hormonal, or a thyroid issues as well. Are you using wen?? Some people have posted about using wen and hair loss. Good luck to you!
Super Contributor

On 10/30/2014 bullyluv said: It could be hormonal, or a thyroid issues as well. Are you using wen?? Some people have posted about using wen and hair loss. Good luck to you!

I've been tested for that all good.Yeah i have tried Wen but i can't blame Wen for my shedding because i was already shedding when i used it.I wish Wen would help my hair but i don't think anything can.I am just unlucky.

Super Contributor

I've had a scalp biopsy; it will be able to tell if your hair loss is permanent ( follicles are dead) or temporary, but may not necessarily be able to determine the cause.
Super Contributor

Have the biopsy. I may have to do that next. I don't know if its my thyroid, the generic levothyroxine or what, I had to switch when Pfizer stopped making my levo over a year ago.

My PCP doctor ordered a TSH, T3 and T4 as soon as I can have a blood draw. He told me to see a derm about my hair loss. Ugh, it never stops! I hate washing my hair, after, when I comb it it all comes out.

Trusted Contributor

I am not familiar with a hair biopsy but I do know that Spirolactone helps keep hair in and your doctor may prescribe this for you but there are side effects and one said it could cause tumors. I took it for years and never had a tumor. It also helps with acne but men can not take this drug because it can caused your breast to grow. Not a bad thing for me.........also there is a book called THE TRUTH ABOUT WOMEN'S HAIR LOSS and it is a great book and it can be stress, surgery, advil, and the list goes on.......so check your medicines and try and be careful brushing your hair.......I had injections in my scalp and took proscar which was for mens hair loss and I did not get hurt by that but my doctor was aggressive for me at the time..........no doubt that the mens proscar and spirolactone did stop the shedding badly.

Honored Contributor

I have it for the issues you stated. Of course it came back hormonal. They prescribed men's rogaine.

However, it can't hurt. Someone I know had a scalp biopsy, and she had a fungal growth! You couldn't see it on the scalp, it was in the follicle. Most everyone else I know though, had hormonal hair loss

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Ilovehummingbirds said:

I am not familiar with a hair biopsy but I do know that Spirolactone helps keep hair in and your doctor may prescribe this for you but there are side effects and one said it could cause tumors. I took it for years and never had a tumor. It also helps with acne but men can not take this drug because it can caused your breast to grow. Not a bad thing for me.........also there is a book called THE TRUTH ABOUT WOMEN'S HAIR LOSS and it is a great book and it can be stress, surgery, advil, and the list goes on.......so check your medicines and try and be careful brushing your hair.......I had injections in my scalp and took proscar which was for mens hair loss and I did not get hurt by that but my doctor was aggressive for me at the time..........no doubt that the mens proscar and spirolactone did stop the shedding badly.

This is more true than women want to admit. It is easier to blame it on many other things. The thing about hair loss from stress, surgery or trauma is it never happens at the time of the event. It happens 6 to 8 weeks after event. medications, high blood pressure, thyroid, and high EMF exposure are culprit often. Allergies to foods, topicasl,
dieting, weight loss, bacteria can effect a person. Women tint their hair more than ever, and use hot irons and products that can effect hair. I would be glad if it was one of those things rather than heredity, your DNA and aging.

I have noticed more women becoming thin haired and having balding issues, than I remember as a kid. But it is probably due to the fact that as someone whose hair has thinned a bit, I look at other women for thinning. LOL!