Respected Contributor

Does this mean I now have dry skin?

I've had oily skin all of my life, so stayed away from heavy moisturizers. In the last couple of months, though, I've used the PC's moisturizers for oily skin and they absolutely stripped my skin of moisture. Left it itchy and flaky. Threw them out.

Oil of Olay has been my go-to for years, so I went back to it. Getting the same results on my chin and above my brows to my hairline.

Where do I go from here? Stumped. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Does this mean I now have dry skin?

I've always had oily skin, but age & hormonal changes did alter that somewhat over the last 15 years or so. Now it's more like combination skin, with some T-zone oiliness. It does seem somewhat drier during the winter months now, too, though I don't get flakiness in the dry areas of my face. Don't know if that's helpful to you or not.

Super Contributor

If you're getting the same results with different moisturizers, it may be your cleanser that's drying your skin out.

If you're getting dry, flaky skin right after cleansing, is it still oily in the afternoon?

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to tell. How old are you? Can you wash your face with just a mild something (or even just water!) and forego using anything at all for a day? night? And then feel your skin to see how it's doing.

There may be other mitigating contributors -- age, like I inferred, diet (are you getting enough EFAs?) cleanser (like okiebug suggested) & other exfoliation, environment (where you live or your home heat/air quality)...

When I adopted the vitamin C & AHAs in the a.m./retinol (the lowest strength) in the p.m. and changed my moisturizer to aloe vera + drops of oil, also thrown in is a drop hylauronic acid, my skin has never been so beautifully balanced. I no longer use/need moisturizer in the p.m. (I don't want my own sebaceous glands to get lazy)...but I also have a 50% humidity level in the home...I just don't think one ingredient/product can do it all, but several in tandem seems to maintain a perfect skin balance. But this also very much depends on your age and the overall state of your health.

Honored Contributor

Give "Simple" a try. Sold at the drugstore. I received a sample of the Replenishing moisturizer and it is very nice. Light, absorbs quickly, hypo-allergic, etc. I actually was pleasantly surprised with this moisturizer.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

KatCat1 - is it sold in most drugstores like Walgreens? Thanks for the rec. Spending $ just trying to find something that works.

Valued Contributor

When I had something similar happen a few years ago from a product that turned my skin raw, my dermatologist gave me samples of Atopalm Intensive Moisturizing cream, which was amazing. The moisturizer not only healed the raw skin quickly, but it got rid of the redness and other irritation. Once I was healed, I was able to go back to my regular skincare. I noticed that some Targets are now selling Atopalm products, which is great.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/30/2014 pommom said:

KatCat1 - is it sold in most drugstores like Walgreens? Thanks for the rec. Spending $ just trying to find something that works. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I use the Simple replenishing moisturizer and love it. I have oily, acne-prone skin but also have dry areas and tend to be drier during the cold months.

You can find Simple products at drugstores (including Walgreens), as well as Target, Walmart, and a lot of grocery stores.

When my skin is feeling particularly dry, I use CeraVe moisturizer (in the tub) and it hydrates without breaking me out. It's richer than the Simple moisturizer, so it's great for when I have flakiness from Retin-A.

Respected Contributor

Ladies, thanks so much for your help. I'm going to pick up the Simple, CeraVe and if those don't work, the Atopalm Intensive Moisturizing cream. Surely, one of these, if not all, have to help alleviate this issue.

Love this forum. Great suggestions, recs and help. Couldn't do without it and YOU!