Respected Contributor

Eye puffiness gone! A possible culprit???

I have been going through a lot lately health wise. I was on heavy doses of steroids and they really did a number on me. What stood out most is that I not only developed the dreaded "moon" face, but OMG, the bags and wrinkles under my eyes.....they were so bad, I cried for two days last week: I could barely stand to look at my own reflection. I calmed myself down, and dusted off my Dermawand. I have had it for a couple of years and I use it off and on: I have to say, I have had great results, but I get lazy. Well, with these bags and fine lines, I made a commitment to use it every day with the idea that if nothing else, the gentle warmth will aid circulation and might mitigate some of the puffiness. Last night I was dead tired: I washed my face, and put on my moisturizer. I was tired and cranky and I thought "why bother with eye cream? It's not helping!"......and obviously, it was not. This morning, I had to do a triple take- no bags, no fine lines-gone!!!!! My first thought was that a long time ago, one of my friends tried a new eye cream that was specifically for night use, and it made her eyes puffy. Could my eye cream be the cause??? I'm 54, and I am willing to bet most women in my age group flock towards products that claim to hydrate and plump fine lines.....but what else are these hydrophilic products plumping??? Well, I am a happy camper today, but tonight, I will use my moisturizer and skip the eye cream. I still believe, however that the eye area needs hydration...perhaps a little Argon oil? I would love to hear opinions. One last thought-I will continue on with the Dermawand: who knows? Poodlepet
Super Contributor

Re: Eye puffiness gone! A possible culprit???

You know I had heard this before about heavy creams causing congestion around the eyes. It makes sense really. But how do we find a eye cream that won't cause puffiness. Maybe the ones that advertise that they will alleviate puffiness? I hope others respond as this is a good question.

Honored Contributor

this is really good info, poodle---never thought about it before. I'm 60 and have had bags under my eyes for all my life. Went thru some health cr(a)p myself and its very important to be able to look at yourself and NOT cry!!!{#emotions_dlg.blush} I like that you are taking charge and that what you are doing is making a difference. I will look at my eye creams too. Hope your days of steroids are over and you are on the road to recovery!! I'm going to check about what oils are better for under your eyes and will report back.

Super Contributor

I did a search and found a few sites that said almond oil is good for puffiness. I use Argan and Rose hip oil around my eyes but I'm not sure either help with puffiness. They are both gentle and great for hydration.

I hope you're feeling better:-)

Valued Contributor

Whenever I use an eye cream at night , my eyes tend to look a bit puffier in the morning. That's why I use an eye serum.

Respected Contributor

Heavy eye creams can make eyes puffy at night. Another culprit is the amount of salt intake. In order to alleviate both of these issues drink at least 64 ounces of water every day. This is what I do and I never have puffy eyes anymore.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it can be your eye cream. I found out the hard way (like you).

I FINALLY found an eye cream that I can apply on my lids, & up to my bottom lash line. It's Lancome "Progres" eye creme. I LOVE it. It hydrates really well withour causing puffiness, milia, or irritation. I signed up at Lancomes site so I know when they have 20% off sales (a few times a year). I take those opportunities to stock up.

BTW, I've tried MANY eye creams over the years. This is my absolute fave!

Respected Contributor

at night i use a retinol on my face and avoid a cream on the eye area at night and use a freeze gel in the morning, Prai Arctic Ice gel. and eliminateds a lot of salt in my diet.

Respected Contributor

Well, my diet is virtually devoid of salt, and I drink lots and lots of water....as far as eye cream goes, if it says "Lessens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles" and also says "Decreases puffiness", I try it....and I can tell you I need to hire a funeral director for my wrinkle cream grave yard!!! I am more than willing to try almond and rose hip oil: women have used those for centuries.....serums are not something I know a whole lot about. Beautybee, I would love to know more. What are you using? Golden retriever, Lancome has been hit or miss with me-especially the skin care, but I am willing to give it a try. Ashleigh, do you get a residue if you use too much of the Prai gel? Thanks for the input and kind wishes. Another side effect of steroid use is it wreaks havoc with emotions: I had to change the station every time an ASPCA commercial came on-site I would cry like a baby....but on a positive note, we ended up joining....I am feeling better, however. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

I am surprised you did not mention eating everyone out of house & home when you are on steroids. I gained quite a bit of weight from 70 mg of steroids when I was in the hospital at the beginning of the year. as far as your eye cream. There was no such thing when I was growing up. Cosmetic cos. have to keep coming up with new products. I have used eye creams but now I just use my moisturizers as you want to keep the area hydrated. Believe it or not, Vaseline is excellent for under the eye area as it keep the skin taut.

kindness is strength