Esteemed Contributor

OT: how much $$$ would you give

First I apologize for OT but didn't know where to post this. How much would you give a college student traveling aboard for 10 days? This is her very first trip by herself, she will be traveling with a school group.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT: how much $$$ would you give

I have no idea.

I would poll the other student's parents and also the school as to what they would need - I'm sure they would also need some form of CC or traveller's checks........?

Honored Contributor

It really depends on where she's going/the exchange rate, does the group pay for any or some of the meals, etc. Assuming she has a credit card? Do people even use travelers checks anymore?

Esteemed Contributor

A $500 gift card. The exchange rate is best on a Visa or Master Card. I didn't reveal the amount.

AAA has bundles that you can purchase, in case she needs cash.

That's what I did for my stepson when his class went to China a few years ago.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

She won't be traveling for months and I'll be traveling at the same time so I'm trying to come up with a budget. Schools tend to wait until the last minute to spring it on you.
Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 ANewHue said: She won't be traveling for months and I'll be traveling at the same time so I'm trying to come up with a budget. Schools tend to wait until the last minute to spring it on you.

Nice! I agree with HB, $500 on a Visa/MC gift card. Hope you both have a great time!

Valued Contributor

You can get a checking account with a debit card and load some money on it. If she is running low, put some more on it. That way if it gets lost, it isn't attached to a large account, and if the finder doesn't know the PIN, you still have the money and can close the account.

Honored Contributor

I have relatives who recently traveled to Italy.

It is my understanding no one uses Travelers Checks anymore. Money is loaded on a Visa card and that's what is used.

Also, don't forget to look into a plan on your cell phones if you are going to be making calls back to the states, texting, getting on the internet, etc. You will want to call your carrier about it.

Honored Contributor

It depends whether or not meals are included. I would (over) load a debit card that can be used at ATMs. If you are the only source for spending money, $500 is not nearly enough.

It has become difficult to even use Traveler's Checks in Italy.

If you are going too, BOA has a Travel Rewards Card that does not charge you to exchange money or ATM fees.

I always purchase Euros from my BOA before I go to Europe.

Valued Contributor

$1500. on a loaded visa/mc