Frequent Contributor

Question about Tatcha founder's skin issues

I'm always fascinated by the Tatcha rep's presentations. Her skin is beautiful. Anyone know the mysterious skin condition she seems to refer to often? What skin condition would leave her skin permanently damaged and untreatable by physicians yet was treatable by by using geisha inspired skincare? Has she ever mentioned the specific condition she had? I've had many skin issues myself over the years and am always curious as to the what the skin issues she refers to are. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Tatcha founder's skin issues

Very good question. I would love to know too Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure this is the rep, but on the Tatcha site they talk about the founder as follows:

Among the many titles Victoria Tsai holds at TATCHA — founder, CEO, product developer, sushi connoisseur in chief — the one on her business card suits her best: Chief Treasure Hunter. A Harvard Business School graduate turned globetrotting beauty expert and explorer, Victoria splits her time between the Bay Area and Japan, where she travels frequently to work with scientists, researchers and modern-day geisha to create formulas for the TATCHA collection.

She created the line after suffering from acute dermatitis and developing a keen awareness about the importance of ingredients used on the skin. Pregnant with her daughter, Alea, at the time, she made certain every product would be as gentle and safe as it was effective.

Frequent Contributor

Just watched one of the clips. She talks about permanently damaging her skin and doctors telling her it would never ""go back to normal"" yet she was prescribed medication for a few years to treat the condition. Medication for what? I'm so curious.

Frequent Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Lanikins said:

I'm not sure this is the rep, but on the Tatcha site they talk about the founder as follows:

Among the many titles Victoria Tsai holds at TATCHA — founder, CEO, product developer, sushi connoisseur in chief — the one on her business card suits her best: Chief Treasure Hunter. A Harvard Business School graduate turned globetrotting beauty expert and explorer, Victoria splits her time between the Bay Area and Japan, where she travels frequently to work with scientists, researchers and modern-day geisha to create formulas for the TATCHA collection.

She created the line after suffering from acute dermatitis and developing a keen awareness about the importance of ingredients used on the skin. Pregnant with her daughter, Alea, at the time, she made certain every product would be as gentle and safe as it was effective.

Thanks Lanikins. Just saw your response. I believe that is her.

Honored Contributor

Victoria is the vendor and the same person who does the Tatcha demos. I thought I heard her say that she used to be some kind of product tester (don't remember who she worked for) and it finally caught up with her, messing up her skin, but I don't remember to what degree. Sorry for being vague.

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 gingi said:
On 10/28/2014 Lanikins said:

Thanks Lanikins. Just saw your response. I believe that is her.

Thanks for this info Lanikins- I too was wondering what type of skin issue she said damaged her skin enough that all the doctors told her it was irreversible. I am surprised she uses the drying type alcohol in her cleansing oil since it seems like that would exacerbate ezcema or acute dermatitis but I guess not because her skin looks pretty!