Honored Contributor

How to PART your HAIR for maximum attractiveness

dailymail.co.uk recent article:

How to take FIVE YEARS off your face, just by changing your parting

• *Celeb hair-stylist Andrew Barton says the wrong parting can make us look years older
  • *This works on hair lengths of shorter to long.
  • *Frances Childs, 45, tries some different styles and is amazed by the results

My usual look: Swept off the face

My usual look: Swept off the face

Most women know that the right haircut and colour can take years off your appearance, but few spend time worrying about how their parting is ageing their face, writes Frances Childs.

However, according to celebrity hair-stylist Andrew Barton, the wrong parting can make us look years older - dragging down features - while the right parting can be almost as rejuvenating as a visit to a plastic surgeon.

I'm so unsure what to do with my own parting that I usually sweep my hair back in a slightly skew-whiff messy look.

Yet at 45, I'm eager to turn back the clock.

Here, with the help of Pascal Lombardo, chief stylist at Andrew Barton's London salon, I try five different partings to see if they make me look older or younger - with staggering results.

CENTRE PARTING: ADDS SEVEN YEARS

Ageing: The centre parting looks too severe

Ageing: The centre parting looks too severe

HOW TO DO IT: It's easiest to get a clean parting on damp hair.

Take the sharp end of a tail comb and, starting at your hairline, guide the point of the comb straight through the centre of your head, using the teeth to smooth down the sides as you go. Easy peasy.

VERDICT: I hate this parting! I had hoped that this look would be chic and sleek, but sadly, I look old and severe - like a desiccated Miss Havisham.

My hair has no body at the crown and hangs limply down the sides of my face. Although I only coloured my hair a month ago, the parting shows off my obvious re-growth and, let’s face it, grey hairs are anything but youthful.

"Unless you can afford to have your roots touched up every few weeks, it is best to avoid severe partings,' Pascal admits.

'This is a classic look. It's elegant, but on you it is a little ageing as it drags the face downwards.'

THE ZIG-ZAG: TAKES OFF TWO YEARS

Trendy: The zig-zag adds volume

Trendy: The zig-zag adds volume

HOW TO DO IT: This one is a little trickier.

First, create your classic centre parting as before, then, with the tail of your comb, lift a section of hair from a centimetre to the left of your parting and flick it over to the right, smoothing with your comb.

Do the same on the right side and then repeat every couple of centimetres until you reach the crown of your head.

VERDICT: I'm wary of this one. It may be a zig-zag, but it's still a centre parting, which, I'm now convinced, makes me look ancient.

But Pascal insists: 'The slightly messy look will soften your features, making you look younger. And a jagged parting will make hair look thicker.

'The zig-zag effect adds volume, which lifts the cheekbones, making the face look more youthful.'

And it does! Not only does it seem to lift my face, but the trendier style makes me look less austere and grannyish. Result!

PARTING ON RIGHT: TAKES OFF FIVE YEARS

Flattering: The parting makes the eyes look bigger
Flattering: The parting makes the eyes look bigger

HOW TO DO IT:

My right eye is noticeably bigger and wider than my left, so Pascal explains that parting my hair on the right should be flattering as it will bring attention to this eye.

I'm getting to be a dab hand with the tail comb now, but I still have to reposition this line a couple of times until Pascal's satisfied I've got it exactly right.

VERDICT: I love it! I think I look much younger and Pascal explains why. 'Having your hair sweeping from right to left emphasises your wider eye, and wider eyes give your face the appearance of youth,' he says.

'Parting your hair this way will always make you look younger.'

My hair seems to have more volume and body as well, which combine to make me look more youthful.

The added volume, especially around the cheekbones, makes my face look a bit fuller, too, and distracts from my sagging jawline. Hurrah!

LEFT SIDE PARTING: ADDS FIVE YEARS

Sculpted: It's chic but not right for Frances

Sculpted: It's chic but not right for Frances

HOW TO DO IT:

This time we use the thin outer edge of my eyebrow as a guide. Starting from that point we run the tail of the comb neatly from the front to the back of my head, smoothing the sides down as we go.

'Using the natural line of the eyebrow as a guide, you get a parting that helps to create a flattering look,' he explains.

VERDICT:

I can see that the low parting looks sculpted and chic. But I suspect I don't have the flamboyance and dramatic flair necessary to carry this off.

'It looks fabulous, vibrant. You could wear it to a party,' enthuses Pascal as he showers me in hairspray.

But I'm not convinced, it's for me. It looks like a comb-over gone wrong and it's much too trendy. My hair now dips down far too low on my forehead to be flattering, and, when I look in the mirror, my attention's drawn straight to the edge of my crow's feet. Not a good look.

SLIGHTLY OFF CENTRE: TAKES OFF FOUR YEARS

Favourite look: This kind of parting is also favoured by the Duchess of Cambridge

Favourite look: This kind of parting is also favoured by the Duchess of Cambridge

HOW TO DO IT:

Pascal explains that the way to find the perfect position for an off-centre parting is to trace a line up from the inner edge of my right eye and then part my hair directly in alignment with that point. I could get the hang of this one.

VERDICT:

This is my favourite parting and I'm in good company. The Duchess of Cambridge often has her hair parted in a similar fashion. The difference an inch makes is amazing. It's surprisingly flattering, softening my face and distracting from my wobbly jawline.

'As we age our faces begin to lose definition, but this parting draws attention to the eyes and the cheekbones and away from the sagging bits,' Pascal explains.

The parting also gives my hair more body, which makes me look younger. My new parting has forced my hair to hang in a different way, and the swoop across my forehead breaks up my frown lines quite brilliantly.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to PART your HAIR for maximum attractiveness

Good tips, I was going to say something humorous like I part my hair down the middle of my backSmiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I really like this demonstration of the different effects that a simple part can achieve.

I wish they hadn't suggested "adds four years," "subtracts five years," but to let our own eyes decide what looks more attractive.

I'm not sure, though, that this provides a once-size-fits all; if we can adopt those as general rules...because it all has to do with your face shape & other facial features, length of hair, etc. That particular model has a bit of a low/average forehead, and that also plays into where the part might look less flattering.

Honored Contributor

My natural part is slightly off center but when I want a more dramatic look, I move it a bit more to the side. I could never wear a center part.

Super Contributor

I wonder how many years the almost balding man adds when he does a side part directly above his ear and sweeps his wispy hair strands across the top of his head!!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Laughter aside, this is an interesting article!

Contributor

Interesting. I part my hair on the right, but angle it slightly towards the back of my head-- after admiring Hoda Kotb's hairstyle. My hair is similar in length to hers. Gives me the added lift and volume to the front that I like.

Super Contributor

Very interesting demonstration. I do not like a center part on anyone, but maybe it's because I just notice it more on women who should not be wearing a center part. It looks very severe. I think the part is just a very individual thing.

Currently, with my new short hairstyle, I like all the curls on the top of my head brushed forward, so the right part for me is about the outer edge of my eye (not eyebrow). With longer hair, I used to part it about the center of my eye.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Regular Contributor

Many years ago I went to a hair show in Atlantic city and sat in on a seminar. I had always parted my hair on the left side but after this seminar I never did again, changed to the right. The instructor told us to look at our face, that there is usually a lower eyebrow and to part your hair on that side, this will give the illusion that the lower eyebrow is higher. As you can see in this model one eyebrow is clearly lower, this is where she should part her hair.

Honored Contributor

You can't really tell how she would look with her hair parted on the left side because she tucked her hair behind her ear in that particular pic. Interesting tips though.

Respected Contributor

I liked the dramatic left part, chic style the best. I don't think it added years at all, so that tells me we are our own best judge of what looks best on our heads, but this was very interesting to see. It's a good thing to try it different ways and not be stuck in a rut.