Regular Contributor

Please share your haircut horror story

I'll go first.

2 weeks ago today, I had approx 8-10" of my locks chopped off; it went down to the middle of my back. I showed the girl a picture of what I wanted and she ended up cutting my hair too short (barely reaches my shoulders). She was also supposed to add long layers, but for whatever reason didn't. Then on top of that I had my hair colored (for the first time) and for whatever reason, the color was really dark on top and really light towards the bottom. Not the look I was going for. Needless to say, I drove home p****d off.

Fast forward to the following day:

I went to a different salon and had a corrective cut and corrective color. It ended up costing me almost $100. {#emotions_dlg.bored} The girl gave me some short and long layers that works well with my naturally wavy hair. It does look better, but I plan on growing it out a bit more. I know, it could be worse: I could have a mullet. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

What's your haircut horror story?

Honored Contributor

Re: Please share your haircut horror story

I was in my late 30's and wanted a "weight line" with the hair tapered gently (using scissors) to the nape of my neck. The Dorothy Hamil haircut had been very popular and that was more or less what I wanted but .... the stylist used clippers to take off almost all the hair all the way up to the line (which was roughly the top of my ears!). I looked like a biker... very butch. I was SO humiliated, embarrassed and everything else that goes with it... oh yeah, and mad. What was she thinking?

That was years ago... but my last haircut was carefully explained to the stylist, I wanted what they call "stacked" bob, and I grew my hair out especially so there would be plenty to do this with. The look is the same haircut that Mary Beth Roe has, only mine would have been just a bit shorter. Well, she cut it all the way up (I have about 3 1/2" length at the top)... it's blended well to the bottom and the sides are right, but hoo boy the back is short. Not anywhere near the biker look (thank goodness) but nothing like what I had in mind. I have a terrible time with stylists and it doesn't matter if I pay $100 for the cut or $10 for the cut... LOL~!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Back in the late '70s, huge afro styles were the rage. Found out my then-husband was sleeping with a stripper who had a massive blonde one, so I bought a matching wig and took it to my stylist, saying I wanted my middle-of-my-back-length hair cut and permed to look just like me gorgeous wig, trying desperately to keep our marriage together. I'd been going to my stylist for 10 yrs, he knew my hair, etc. He blew it big time.....cut it WAY, WAY too short, and then gave me an old-lady frizzy perm...not an afro, but think blue-hair perm. I was totally shocked and freaking out, but eventually straightened it with a home kit, and then got a gentle 'body wave' perm to hide the damage and to have SOME kind of style. Thought I'd have 3-4 days to get all of this done and my hysteria calmed down before my dh got home from a business trip, but it got cancelled and he came in 10 min. after I walked in the door. He thought it was a horrible wig.....didn't I wish it was! LOL

Trusted Contributor

Bangs that were about half an inch long. - need I say more?
Regular Contributor

On 10/24/2014 Q4u said:

I was in my late 30's and wanted a "weight line" with the hair tapered gently (using scissors) to the nape of my neck. The Dorothy Hamil haircut had been very popular and that was more or less what I wanted but .... the stylist used clippers to take off almost all the hair all the way up to the line (which was roughly the top of my ears!). I looked like a biker... very butch. I was SO humiliated, embarrassed and everything else that goes with it... oh yeah, and mad. What was she thinking?

That was years ago... but my last haircut was carefully explained to the stylist, I wanted what they call "stacked" bob, and I grew my hair out especially so there would be plenty to do this with. The look is the same haircut that Mary Beth Roe has, only mine would have been just a bit shorter. Well, she cut it all the way up (I have about 3 1/2" length at the top)... it's blended well to the bottom and the sides are right, but hoo boy the back is short. Not anywhere near the biker look (thank goodness) but nothing like what I had in mind. I have a terrible time with stylists and it doesn't matter if I pay $100 for the cut or $10 for the cut... LOL~!

That stinks! How long did it take you to grow your hair out?

My husband said that he likes my new hair style and shorter length much better. I thought men don't notice these things. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Valued Contributor

Mine wasn't a haircut but it was about two months (I think) before my wedding many many years ago and I got a perm from a friend who was a beautician, (it was a professional perm and I think it began with a Z??). It was fine for about five hours then it started the feel like straw and break off about four to five inches from my head. My girlfriend called me about nine that night from urgent care, she had burns on her hands.

I was lucky it didn't break off any shorter and it was fine for my wedding too.

This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish
Regular Contributor

On 10/24/2014 JamicaJammer said:

Back in the late '70s, huge afro styles were the rage. Found out my then-husband was sleeping with a stripper who had a massive blonde one, so I bought a matching wig and took it to my stylist, saying I wanted my middle-of-my-back-length hair cut and permed to look just like me gorgeous wig, trying desperately to keep our marriage together. I'd been going to my stylist for 10 yrs, he knew my hair, etc. He blew it big time.....cut it WAY, WAY too short, and then gave me an old-lady frizzy perm...not an afro, but think blue-hair perm. I was totally shocked and freaking out, but eventually straightened it with a home kit, and then got a gentle 'body wave' perm to hide the damage and to have SOME kind of style. Thought I'd have 3-4 days to get all of this done and my hysteria calmed down before my dh got home from a business trip, but it got cancelled and he came in 10 min. after I walked in the door. He thought it was a horrible wig.....didn't I wish it was! LOL

Say what??!

Sorry you had the perm from he//. When I was growing up, my mom gave me a perm at home and to this day, I haven't forgiven her. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Regular Contributor

On 10/24/2014 Alsee said: Bangs that were about half an inch long. - need I say more?

OMG

Regular Contributor

On 10/24/2014 redhead handbag queen said:

Mine wasn't a haircut but it was about two months (I think) before my wedding many many years ago and I got a perm from a friend who was a beautician, (it was a professional perm and I think it began with a Z??). It was fine for about five hours then it started the feel like straw and break off about four to five inches from my head. My girlfriend called me about nine that night from urgent care, she had burns on her hands.

I was lucky it didn't break off any shorter and it was fine for my wedding too.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Did your friend leave the perm solution on your hair too long? 4-5" of hair breaking off is a lot. Sorry that happened to you.

Honored Contributor

I shaved my down below and ended up with a bad rash. Never again.