Super Contributor

Has anyone heard of this company?

I was browsing through Facebook this afternoon and someone mentioned a company called "Ipsy". I went to their website and, apparently, for $10 a month you get a monthly beauty bag with 4 or 5 products. They show some of the previous months' bags and they are products from reputable companies.

Has anyone heard of Ipsy and subscribed? What has been your experience?

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone heard of this company?

I did their subscription box twice, but liked the Allure one better, so cancelled. The products, were ok, I believe they are reputable.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor

I have a few friends that subscribe. They are legit. One of my friends was saying how much she liked her most recent shipment just a few days ago.

Super Contributor

They send out good things sometimes but I was getting a lot of makeup that I couldn't use. It either didn't work for me or wasn't the correct color. Like the hideous green glitter eye liner by Nicka K. An extremely bright fuchsia lipstick. Sometimes I couldn't even use one item out of the bunch so it wasn't worth it for me.

They have codes each month you can use with the companies whose products are in the bag.

You can find pictures of previous bags on facebook, ipsy.com, instagram, and lots of beauty blogs.

Super Contributor

Thanks all! I agree about some of the shades, Snow Owl. I was looking at some of the previous bags and some of the colors are just waaaaayyyy too bright for me!

Respected Contributor

Been getting it for about 2 years. For $10 it is fun. My teen DD and I get a kick out of it each month. We pretend to bicker over who gets what. I've found a few products and tossed my share, too. Again, for us it's fun.
Super Contributor

Seems to me like you are just constantly paying for a shipment of random samplers, without getting to select things in your own color scheme. Over a period of time, you might be paying more for things you can't or don't wear than what you do. Doesn't necessarily sound like a great financial risk.

You might come out happier if you just keep a heads up and selected special buys on sample packages or discovery kits on brands of things you really like or want to try without the waste products. Over a certain length of time, your spent dollars would be working more productively for you.

Honored Contributor

I have only received 2 kits and it is kind of fun and the cost is very minimal. My last kit was pretty nice. I got a regular size bottle of Nicole nail polish in a gold metallic (which I really like) and a full size mascara (forget the name), among other smaller items. So, it was well worth the price. I will just pass on items that I don't care for to other family members.

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive treat each month, I think you would like this!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

The last two times they had nail polish I didn't get any. I have very few things checked in my profile so maybe I could get polish. After the second time of not receiving it I cancelled. Even though the expense is minimal, it's still not worth it if I can't use anything. That $120 year and would buy, or be a good payment on, a great bottle of perfume.

Honored Contributor

Ipsy is legit. Sometimes the boxes are useful - it really does help if you do the product reviews for each and every product after you receive them. They tend to customize future boxes based on that. However, after about 7 months, I cancelled. I found that I was still getting products I wouldn't use or even try, or colors that just didn't work. For me it wasn't worth the occasional item I liked. The mu bags themselves were very cute each month.