Honored Contributor

Using different types of cleansers and/or moisturizers on different areas of face?

I am wondering if anyone here experiences this problem and has a solution, as well.

I am an older woman, with fair, very sensitive skin (can't use anything with scents or fragrance of any kind) and my skin is slightly dry, though not terribly. I have a few slight lines but no significant wrinkles.

I would like to be able to use something which helps with firmness, suppleness and lines, but the minute I try to use something which is a little heavier or intense, I start to experience breakouts. Primarily on my chin, but occasionally around my mouth and a little on forehead.

Does anyone else experience this, being a mature person? It's very disheartening! You try to treat your mature skin and end up getting acne!!!! Grrrr!

I'm thinking --- how am I supposed to cleanse and moisturize my skin in sections -- using this product here so it won't break out, and another product there -- to give extra moisture, etc.???

How do you handle this crazy problem?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Re: Using different types of cleansers and/or moisturizers on different areas of face?

I have found that creams will break me out so I am using serums and oils. TTO lightly applied works wonders for hydration as well as keeping the blemishes away. I wouldn't use it around the eyes though. I use RHO around my eyes and on my upper lip. I can use cream on my neck but I still add some oil, RHO or Argan Oil. BTW I am close to 60 and I never had breakouts till meno hit.

Honored Contributor

Re: Using different types of cleansers and/or moisturizers on different areas of face?

Thanks, Katluvr. Sorry to be dumb, but what are TTO and RHO??

So, what do you use exactly for cleansing? As for oils, I don't understand this. I read where people are using oils for this and that and I can't figure out how oils don't just sit on your skin and cause major problems -- such as congestion, break-outs, etc.

I never thought I would have to worry about breaking out at age 62!!!

Trusted Contributor

TTO= tea tree oil, RHO= rose hip oil
Honored Contributor

Before I would use any special oils, I would do some research first. Have you tried any organic type skin care? I have used a line called Gabriels Organic. Also Suzanne Sommers line is nice too. I am 60 with very dry, sensitive skin but I'm like you with very few lines/wrinkles but no extra oil and NEVER break out. I use mostly serums for hydration and then a moisturizer over top. But my routine won't be what you need. Sounds like you need a very gentle cleanser for all over and then certain things for certain areas of concern on your face. Maybe Eurcerin or CeraVe or Cetaphil from any drugstore for a cleanser.Go to Pharma.com--they have tons of good organic stuff and then go to-- the organic witch .com for more info on the oils.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the explanation!

I do use very gentle products -- I have to! I use Clinique cream cleanser for one of my products. Then, I vary and use one by Eucerin that has a little bit of grit to it. For moisturizer, I use either Eucerin, or one by Trader Joe's which is very light and fragrance free.

I just don't know what to use any more. Whatever I use manages to cause me problems of one kind or another. I'm just getting fed up!!!

Honored Contributor

I am finding that I am using different things on different parts of my face!

The one product that is a forever one for me is retin-A... although I avoid the break-out prone chin area. I am timidly beginning to try to include it, tho.

A product that is working and that my face really likes is the Estee Lauder repair serum. Expensive yes, but worth it.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Regular Contributor

I use different products on different sections of my face also because my skin is extremely sensitive. I have rosacea and my cheeks are dry and break out easily. It would be so nice to use the same thing on the whole face because otherwise it's so time consuming! I use jojoba oil on the cheeks but right now they need an additional moisturizer, which I'm trying to find. Then the eyes get avocado oil, which also goes over the lips. The forehead gets a vitamin C cream. Very annoying, but what else can you do. Different cleansers also: Trader Joe's cleanser for the forehead and the rest of the face likes raw honey. I'm sure there must be an easier way around this. But AngelPuppy, I'm having the same problem as you!

Super Contributor

I heard a famous older model once say not to use the same products on your face each day because using the same products can cause breakouts and they also lose their effectiveness being used on a daily basis. I have three different cleansers, three different moisturizers, a vit c product, two eye products, two retinol products and two different sunscreens. I seldom use the same products two days consecutively. Also, I use Burt's Bees acne toner on my mature face to prevent breakouts. The regime of mixing things up helps to prevent breakouts and irritation and the products seem to work better.

Regular Contributor

On 10/26/2014 Ranchergal said:

I heard a famous older model once say not to use the same products on your face each day because using the same products can cause breakouts and they also lose their effectiveness being used on a daily basis. I have three different cleansers, three different moisturizers, a vit c product, two eye products, two retinol products and two different sunscreens. I seldom use the same products two days consecutively. Also, I use Burt's Bees acne toner on my mature face to prevent breakouts. The regime of mixing things up helps to prevent breakouts and irritation and the products seem to work better.

That's good to know - thanks!