Super Contributor

Best NATURAL looking mascara that SEPARATES Lashes?

I am fortunate to have decent lashes but would like them to look thicker (not necessarily longer). But I really want it to NOT clump and separate.

Super Contributor

Re: Best NATURAL looking mascara that SEPARATES Lashes?

I don't believe there is a "BEST". The one that everyone is using at the moment is their favorite. Some people are constantly on the search for the "Holy Grail" of mascara's. Some have been using the same one for decades. I suppose its all about what your specific needs are. Length? Volume? Whatever.

But be sure everybody has their hand in making supposedly the BEST. Oh mercy and the prices. Some of these "Madison Avenue" brands are ridiculous in their prices.

Basically, I think they are all the same. All mascara has bat guano ("poop") in it anyway.

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 Remee said:

I don't believe there is a "BEST". The one that everyone is using at the moment is their favorite. Some people are constantly on the search for the "Holy Grail" of mascara's. Some have been using the same one for decades. I suppose its all about what your specific needs are. Length? Volume? Whatever.

But be sure everybody has their hand in making supposedly the BEST. Oh mercy and the prices. Some of these "Madison Avenue" brands are ridiculous in their prices.

Basically, I think they are all the same. All mascara has bat guano ("poop") in it anyway.

False Claim: Bat guano is used in the manufacture of mascara.

Snopes: ". . .This rumor's origin lies with a similarity between two words that causes them to be confused for one another: guano and guanine.

Mascara contains the crystalline form of guanine, a word that derives from the Spanish word guano, meaning "dung." Guanine is used extensively in the cosmetics industry, where it functions as a colorant and as an opacifying (shimmering or light diffusing) agent. It's found in bath products, cleansing products, fragrances, hair conditioners, lipsticks, nail products, shampoos and skin care products. The crystalline guanine used in beauty products doesn't derive from excrement, though, either from bats or from any other critter. Yet there is a bit of a "yuck!" factor to that ingredient, as guanine is manufactured from fish scales, which means you're likely finding a little bit of Nemo in your cosmetics drawer.

The Personal Care Products Council (formerly the Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association) labels the rumor about bat guano in mascara as false: "The color additive guanine is approved by the FDA and listed in the Code of Federal Regulations," said that organization's Irene Malbin. "By law, guanine must be derived from fish scales. It is not derived from guano. In addition, there are no guano- or feces-based ingredients used in any cosmetics.". . ."

link goes to:

http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/mascara.asp

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

For a super natural look, I use Maybelline's Full n Soft.
Contributor

On 10/24/2014 RachB said: For a super natural look, I use Maybelline's Full n Soft.
I'll second that.
Respected Contributor

Go yo Paula's choice website and look under beautypedia.She has the best and worst in every makeup category.

Honored Contributor

Aside from the "bat poop"----??????? I think that the brush is the key to separating lashes. My lashes grew back wimpy and very short, after chemo, and the thing that helps me is a brush with very tiny bristles that get down to the base of your lashes first and then a longer bristle brush to sweep the rest of them. I have a brush from Skinn mascara the is both of those lengths of bristles.

Honored Contributor

It's not the formula .... it's the brush that does the separating ...... I find what works best is a wand with teeny brush hairs ..... can't remember the name of it, but Cover Girl has a mascara in a yellow tube that has the best brush! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Give Aveda's Mosscara a try. It's my new favorite -- no clumpy and it conditions lashes too! Under $20.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

What about trying a metal eyelash comb to separate lashes immediately after applying mascara? I do this occasionally when I get an unexpected clump.