Respected Contributor

I have them and they seem to be getting worse. I do buff them a little but then the nail feels very thin. How do you deal with this problem.

Regular Contributor

Re: Verticle Ridges on Nails

I have some, also. I read that it's common as one ages. I try to remember to put cream or oil on my cuticles and into my nails on a regular basis and find that hand cream works well, too. It hydrates my nails and the ridges seem to disappear.

Respected Contributor

Do you have any medical issues? My friend has this and it's associated with low thyroid function in her case. Ask your doctor about the ridges; Google for more info (verticAL nail ridges) spell it right to get the best result.

Super Contributor

I've had them for years. I just use a base coat.

Super Contributor

Vertical ridges on nails is extremely common over 50 - it's simply part of aging. I find that really massaging Aquaphor or Josie's Infinity Cream into the nail and cuticle before going to bed helps mine. I think part of it is dehydration of the nail as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Vitamin lacking - Google information I have no ridges nor any other nail problem and mine grow like grass (fast)

Super Contributor

Goodness! Here's Mayo Clinic's statement on vertical ridges:

1. Vertical nail ridges extend from the cuticle to the tip of the nail. Vertical nail ridges often become more numerous or prominent with age, possibly due to variations in cell turnover within the nail. If your fingernails change color or you develop horizontal nail ridges, consult your doctor.
Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 fthunt said:

Vitamin lacking - Google information I have no ridges nor any other nail problem and mine grow like grass (fast)

I don't know how old you are...but getting ridges on your nails happens to everyone as they age (some more prominent than others)...my dermatologist told me this...just like having to wear reading glasses and getting cataracts...everyone gets them too!

Esteemed Contributor

I used to have that problem for years then I started using Perfect Formula and T.I.P.S. cuticle oil. I also discovered ASK nail remover (on QVC.com) that did not dry out my hail. What a difference. When I want color on my nail I use the Pro Strong nail polish or the Perfect Formula Gel coat in pink instead of the clear.

I take quite a bit of medication for allergies, breathing, etc. and that really dries out my system, skin, nails, etc. These products have worked for me and restored my nails.

I have used Josie's intensity oil in the tube on my nails and really rough patches of skin and that works great!

If I had to pick just two products to start with then I would pick Perfect Formula and Josie's intensity oil.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I have been using Perfect Formula as well, and they are almost gone.

BTW, they have nothing to do with any health issue (other than possibly aging). But if you have horizontal ridges, that could be a health issue. And a dark spot under the nail could be very serious.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986