Honored Contributor

Electrodesiccation of Sebaceous Hyperplasia

So, I had my annual visit with the dermatologist yesterday. It was a little awkward when he got close to my face, using his magnifying glass. To top it off, he was training a PA, who also had to look with his magnifying glass...LOL The doc found some stubborn SH on my jawline and offered to do electrodesiccation right then and there on three of them. It was a breeze and healing is going well! If I ever get more of them, I'll be back in his office for another treatment!

Valued Contributor

Re: Electrodesiccation of Sebaceous Hyperplasia

Had that procedure about a month ago. Really did improve the look of my skin. Mine were in cheeks and jawline.

Respected Contributor

I had 15 SH lesions on my face removed per this procedure recently. most of them were small and on my forehead but I had several larger ones scattered around my on my cheeks and jawline. afterwards, I looked like I had chicken pox for a couple of weeks but they all healed well and I'm so glad to be rid of those ugly bumps.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Mochahoney said:

I had 15 SH lesions on my face removed per this procedure recently. most of them were small and on my forehead but I had several larger ones scattered around my on my cheeks and jawline. afterwards, I looked like I had chicken pox for a couple of weeks but they all healed well and I'm so glad to be rid of those ugly bumps.

Did the surrounding skin on yours turn whiter than your normal skin color? The doc didn't want to address too many all at once. This was kind of a trial, to see how I'd do. He said if I ever wanted to do it again, to wait 6 weeks and he'd do more for the same price. LOL, I didn't think I had that many, but apparently his magnifying glass found them. Once healing is complete, I'll decide if I need another treatment.

Regular Contributor

On 10/22/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

To top it off, he was training a PA, who also had to look with his magnifying glass...LOL

That just sounds so hilarious to picture two of them examining your face! I'll have to look up SH - not sure what that is.

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Violet Fields said:

To top it off, he was training a PA, who also had to look with his magnifying glass...LOL

That just sounds so hilarious to picture two of them examining your face! I'll have to look up SH - not sure what that is.

Oh, it was funny indeed. Picture the old detective cartoons with the detective character using his magnifying glass to look for clues. Now picture the docs doing that right up close by your face. I almost laughed out loud when they both pulled them out of their lab coat pockets at the same time. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Sebaceous Hyperplasia is a big term for overactive sebaceous glands. They don't look like an actual pimple, but are more like extra bits of skin on top of the skin surface. I think the electrodesiccation treatment is used to treat other conditions, too that affect the skin's surface, provided they aren't suspicious type growths.

Regular Contributor

Oh, it was funny indeed. Picture the old detective cartoons with the detective character using his magnifying glass to look for clues. Now picture the docs doing that right up close by your face. I almost laughed out loud when they both pulled them out of their lab coat pockets at the same time. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Sebaceous Hyperplasia is a big term for overactive sebaceous glands. They don't look like an actual pimple, but are more like extra bits of skin on top of the skin surface. I think the electrodesiccation treatment is used to treat other conditions, too that affect the skin's surface, provided they aren't suspicious type growths.

It must be nice to have those off! I wonder if that could be used for keratosis. My back is loaded with them - so embarrassing. Does insurance cover that?

Regular Contributor

I have been looking for this. Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

It must be nice to have those off! I wonder if that could be used for keratosis. My back is loaded with them - so embarrassing. Does insurance cover that?

I hope so! I asked the doctor and he said most insurances usually do, but if for some reason mine didn't, he'd only charge me $125. They're billing my insurance first and then we'll see how it all pans out. Even if I have to pay, IMO it's money well spent. If I go back for another treatment, he said he'd charge the same price, but would do more spots.

Respected Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Mochahoney said:

Did the surrounding skin on yours turn whiter than your normal skin color? The doc didn't want to address too many all at once. This was kind of a trial, to see how I'd do. He said if I ever wanted to do it again, to wait 6 weeks and he'd do more for the same price. LOL, I didn't think I had that many, but apparently his magnifying glass found them. Once healing is complete, I'll decide if I need another treatment.

JeanLouiseFinch, the surrounding area didn't turn white. just red. I looked measle-y or chicken pox-y. this was done about 6 weeks ago and although the areas are completely healed, I still have just a slightly red ( dark pink, really) spot where each lesion was removed, but she said that would go away in time. in the meantime it's easy to cover with concealer. Violet Fields, my insurance didn't pay because it was considered a cosmetic procedure. she charged $250 to remove up to 15.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich