Super Contributor

Best Mattifying Translucent Powder

Hi, everyone! Any suggestions on a really good mattifying translucent powder? I'm currently using Tarte's Smooth Operator pressed translucent powder, and I've used IT's Bye Bye Pores in the past, but neither keep me matte for very long. I also used, and loved, Mally's Face Defender, but it ended up giving me a lot of whiteheads around my nose, probably due to the fact that's it's basically a blend of silicones (they're now going away since I've returned to Tarte's powder, thankfully!). I'm looking for, if possible, a translucent powder that has great oil absorbing properties (requiring minimal touch ups) and is safe for acne prone skin. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Mattifying Translucent Powder

I cannot vouch that this is the "best" because I have not tried every one on the market, BUT I like Mally's Poreless Skin Finisher. I have tried IT's and it was too white looking on me.

Super Contributor

I meant "best" in terms of everyone's personal experiences! Thank you for the response Smiley Happy. I also noticed that I wrote, "...that's it's basically a blend of silicones..." lol. I promise I can speak proper English!

Honored Contributor

I received a sample of Makeupforever HD Powder and I love it!!!!!!!I put it on in the morning over my foundation and I only have to touch up once during the day, and I have a super oily tzone.....I plan on purchasing this in the full size once my sample is gone. It lasts forever too!

Honored Contributor

Maybelline Dream Matte, which has been discontinued and replaced with Dream Wonder. MAC Blot is also great. I liked the Tarte loose finishing powder very much, but haven't tried the pressed powder.

You might also want to try a different makeup primer. Powder is sort of the last line of defense and I've had better success trying to stop oil before it gets to that by changing my primer and my makeup.

Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Maybelline Dream Matte, which has been discontinued and replaced with Dream Wonder. MAC Blot is also great. I liked the Tarte loose finishing powder very much, but haven't tried the pressed powder.

You might also want to try a different makeup primer. Powder is sort of the last line of defense and I've had better success trying to stop oil before it gets to that by changing my primer and my makeup.

Thanks, ChynnaBlue. My sister uses Mac's powders, but I've read they can be horrid for acneic skin. I'll have to research ingredients. As far as primer goes, because I am very prone to breakouts, I try to do the "less is more" thing when it comes to putting things on my face. I've also researched and the jury is still out on whether or not primers are actually needed--some say the effects wear off after a few hours, rendering them pretty much useless; I'm certainly not opposed to the idea, though. I love my makeup, which is mostly IT products, and I know it's not harming my skin, so I'm happy. If I can't find a decent powder, I'll definitely look into good-for-your-skin oil absorbing primers. Thanks again for the suggestion!

JMFINLEY, I considered MUFE's powder, but worry about it showing up in photos! I would, of course, apply with a light touch, but one never knows! I'll keep looking into it. Thanks for the reply!

Super Contributor

I am loving the new Skinn powder in a compact that was in the last TTV. You can purchase it by itself on the HQ, love it, does not make my skin look dry

Super Contributor

NYC Smooth Skin Translucent, loose or pressed, both are great. I have yet to find a mid or high end that works longer than NYC for my very oily skin. I still have to blot by mid day.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Regular Contributor

I use BE tinted mineral veil which outlast all others in my opinion and gives you that matte finish. It's your choice if you do not want tinted. I also buy the Matte Makeup at VERY reasonable prices on Ebay. Just make sure it is 'new' if you decide to purchase.
Valued Contributor

I was also searching for the perfect mattifying powder but my search is over now that I started using Urban Decay All Nighter finishing spray. It doesn't change the look of my makeup and it stays on and looks matte all day. I hardly every use my blotting papers anymore. I read about this spray long ago on this board and I was skeptical but I was at Ulta recently and they have a travel size for $14. Best money I ever spent on a face product.