Valued Contributor

Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

would love any feed back.....It's a front tooth...ugh....

thanks.....lucky

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

Yes, I have an eye tooth dental implant. I had it done 9.5 years ago, and it still looks and performs great. The process was very smooth, and I had very little pain during any part of the process.

Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

Good luck in advance! I had a tooth implant over a year ago and I was a little freaked out at first. The toughest part for me was extracting the tooth. Mine was the very last tooth in the back so it was a bit hard to get at.

They then put the post in and it had to 'grow' into the bone before they were able to put in the implant in. It was as simple as getting a typical crown, just make sure you keep the area clean while it's healing up and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

dh just went to dentist today. he is getting front 2 teeth done again. 50 years ago he had bridge put in on his front 2 teeth, and the bridge just gave out. next month bridge will be finished with his new front tooth. he broke the tooth when he was in high school.

the implant would be on the top front side. his tooth broke off at gum line

what was told to us was, the steel post would be drilled into the gum/bone , then he would have to wait 6-8 months for all swelling and bone to take hold of the steel post and permanently cement to gum. then fake tooth would be attached to post when swelling was gone.

cost is very expensive I believe it was in the $3 grand area. Bridge work for this tooth would be about same.

Respected Contributor

My front tooth is an implant. It was no big deal just a pain for they had this metal clamp to hold my mouth open. but that was in the late 70's. My crown needs to be replaced on the implant but I can not afford it.

I remember they had to drill out the remaining tooth and drilled a hole in my bone( i think been a while) and cement a metal rod. no pain it was just vibration I felt)

I was maybe 10 years old at the time and survived it so it should not be a big deal

I do not remember the metal rod having to grow in, bone growing around it. I could have sworn the whole procedure was done in 1 visit but i do not remember.

Super Contributor

I have one -- its on the bottom-side and I've had it almost three years. I've had no problems with it whatsoever and would recommend the procedure to anyone. It took several months, from the tooth extraction and bone graft, to the post install, to the tooth itself, but it was worth it. I know some places advertise that it can be done all at once, but I would think it would be like installing the post in a bowl of jello. It has to heal after each step. All in all, it was not painful and I would certainly do it again. Best of luck to you.

Super Contributor

I was one of the unlucky few whose implant failed (no one's fault, it's just a statistical inevitability for a very small percentage of patients). So it was redone (for free, under guarantee), and everything went fine the second time. I had it done under local anesthetic the first time, and it wasn't really very traumatic. Hardly any swelling, and the discomfort was managed with just Tylenol. I had a prescription for Vicodin but never used it. I just too the Tylenol as an anti-flammatory, and first-day painkiller.

Go for it. It sounds worse than it is. It's no bigger a deal than having a wisdom tooth out. The only "pain" about it, is that it takes a really long time from beginning to end, while you wait for the bone to grow round the implant. That's where mine failed, so I had to wait two really long times.

Valued Contributor

thanks to you all. I'll let you know how it goes.....a little scary...lol

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 viva923 said:

dh just went to dentist today. he is getting front 2 teeth done again. 50 years ago he had bridge put in on his front 2 teeth, and the bridge just gave out. next month bridge will be finished with his new front tooth. he broke the tooth when he was in high school.

the implant would be on the top front side. his tooth broke off at gum line

what was told to us was, the steel post would be drilled into the gum/bone , then he would have to wait 6-8 months for all swelling and bone to take hold of the steel post and permanently cement to gum. then fake tooth would be attached to post when swelling was gone.

cost is very expensive I believe it was in the $3 grand area. Bridge work for this tooth would be about same.

this is almost identical to what we just went through for my husband as well. He has two implants. The implants were the two on either side of the front teeth plus he had to redo the crowns on the front two teeth (the teeth were broken off when he was a kid- a kid slammed his face into cement and broke off the front two) so he had to get braces first to move the other teeth's roots over enough to make enough room to safely drill the steel post in (and so the implant's integrity wouldn't be jeopardized). He also had to get a bit of bone grafting done. Including the braces, this has been a two year process, lol, but just the implant part has been several months. He LOVES his new teeth. It was pricey though, for the two implants and the two crowns, we paid 8K. The braces were an additional $3500. But honestly, it was all worth every dime. His teeth look incredibly amazing and he has never been happier.

Good luck- I think you will be very happy with it but when they make the new tooth, make sure you are COMPLETELY happy with it before they permanently put it on. So don't be afraid to speak up!

And I would never ever trust the one day places - knowing all that goes into this, I can't imagine you could ever do such a thing in one day and expect it to last.

ETA: he never had to be put under general anesthesia- it was just medication. He is a big baby when it comes to his teeth and he did just fine. I think you will be fine too!

Also, our insurance covered up to $2k of the procedure per year.

Respected Contributor

I just had the implant done last month, will get the crown after all is well in four months. Yes the anticipation is worse than the actual procedure. I had local anesthesia and drove myself home. I had to pay out of pocket so it was expensive.