Contributor

OK let's hear from the Mother-In-laws

I am a mother of three boys so have 3 wonderful dIL who are great wives and mothers however if you asked them they probably don't like me. The reason I am saying this over the years when I have talked to friends none of them have liked their MIL's. Several years ago because I had boys and knew that I would be one I started asking friends and family members how they got along with their MIL's and Iam sorry to say I never found one that liked theirs. The only person I remember talking about their MIL as a friend was Ann Landers. As many horror stories that I heard on the other forum about MIL's I have heard as many about DIL's and the way they were treated by them. I have had friends who have been hurt deeply about being shut out of their sons and grandchildren lives by their DIL's. One friend tells how her son comes alone to visit and apologizes for his wives actions and she tells him it is his duty to stand by his wife and that she will always love them both. Hard to believe! So there are always two sides to every story and find it a very interesting subject.
Honored Contributor

Re: OK let's hear from the Mother-In-laws

I can be really rough when Mothers-in-law are difficult and unlikable, fortunately, I had a wonderful one, she never interfered, and was good to us.

Esteemed Contributor

Why is it always the MIL. I bet sometimes the DIL are witches.
Honored Contributor

N/M. I decided it was too dark for this thread.

Most of you are very lucky.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

My DIL (as of March) told me that her friends and co-workers were complaining about their MILs. She told me that she told them how blessed she is to have such wonderful in laws. I was so flattered. I also am blessed to have a wonderful SIL and DIL!

Super Contributor

My sister has been divorced from her first husband for over 30 years now but, to the day she died, her exes mom treated my sister like the daughter she never had (she had four sons). They remained as close as family even though my sister wasn't in the family any more. She even called my sister her daughter.

I think that's a rare relationship.

Super Contributor

Without going into too much detail, my son and his wife divorced. After counseling and trying to work it through to no avail, she told the counselor that what she would miss the most was "my mother in law." I really appreciated that because I had tried to help all I could but it wasn't meant to be. I still wonder how she and her family are doing.

I also had a wonderful mother in law. In all the years I knew her, we never had a cross word. Yes, I bit my tongue on occasion or walked into the other room--but nothing was ever said. I would also add that she had 4 children and 3 of the 4 had been married more than once. At her funeral, all of the ex-wives were there. I thought that showed a lot of respect for her and for their own children since she was their grandmother.

Super Contributor

Why do you put this in the Beauty threads ????

Super Contributor

Many of you have heard the old saying "That to have a friend you have to be a friend" or something to that...........The same is true with the relationship between DIL and MIL.

You both love the same person, your son and her husband. You both want him to be happy. You have to learn to work together for his good, you own good and the good of the family as a whole.

I hate to see families where the wife and mother are in competition for the husband and son. Life is so much easier when everyone involved can work together and not always be jockeying for his attention. Grow up and act like adults not children............

I get along with my dear DIL and was a good friend to my MIL.

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Remee said:

Why do you put this in the Beauty threads ????

Are you the thread police?