Regular Contributor

O/T Going to Portland Maine soon......

Anything I should definitely do? Beside eat a lobster roll?{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Sights to see? Places to eat? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Going to Portland Maine soon......

I remember eating at a wonderful floating restaurant, but I can't remember the name.

Super Contributor

Wildapple: If you google Portland, Maine there is an official site which tells you all about Portland & what to see & do.

I don't know where you are from, but it's getting colder here in the Northeast so warm clothing is a must. The leaves are beautiful right now so depending on how you are travelling it will be a scenic trip.

Portland is on the ocean & is an art & music center. My son applied to an art school in Portland a few years back. Very eclectic city.

Enjoy your visit.

Honored Contributor

Make a short trip to L.L. Bean in Freeport. It's about 20 minutes from Portland. I've never been but people who have seem to like it.

Super Contributor

I've never been there, but Maine sounds so perfect to me. Please let us know how your trip went!

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 RetRN said:

I remember eating at a wonderful floating restaurant, but I can't remember the name.

DeMillo's. It's still there.

Esteemed Contributor

You need to start your trip (rent a car) in Kittery and travel up Route One. Bypass the outlet mall (unless you're looking for outwear, then stop at Barbour--one of only two outlets for this English brand in the country) and start driving North. Stop at Stonewall Kitchen in York then continue up a bit to Cape Neddick to Flo's Hot Dogs. It's a total hole-in-the-wall but a legendary place for local--I know it sounds gross but have the house special (dog with mayo and their own relish--amazing). Drive through Oqunquit and go down the the wharf and stop by the candy store on Rte 1--they have really fine handmade chocolates, made right there (you can watch). You'll go thru Kennebunkport and if you've not eaten and feel like treating yourself go to the White Barn Inn for a really WOW meal--or just drive down to the water to see the old mansions and the Bush family compound.

From there you'll go thru Wells and Arundel (which has a very good antique mall with great prices called Antiques USA), Saco and if you feel like it, take a detour to Old Orchard Beach. Not much is open in the winter but the sand is super clean and white and the beach is very broad and long. I'd stop at Cape Elizabeth to see the Portland Head Light--an amazing view.

Once you get to Portland there are a few places I recommend for good food: Bintliff's has really good breakfast including award-winning hash; Fore Street has the best charcuterie and wood-fired cooked food and has won many awards; Eventide Oyster Co; and an Italian sandwich at Amato's which is a chain. Get the ham and cheese.

To see in Portland: the museum; the Eastern Promenade (it's near Maine Medical center and has truly amazing water views; the waterfront which used to be scary but is now lovely with tons of great shops and cafes. Above Portland is Desert of Maine (dig for diamonds and mineral) and Freeport if you want to shop at LL Bean at 2am.

Enjoy!!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Sounds like there will be plenty to do and see and eat of course!

Super Contributor

I'm from PA. We always go to New England in the fall. One of our destinations is DeMillos floating restaurant in Portland. Their lobster is terrific. Then we head for Freeport and L.L.Bean. We love Maine in early October. The leaves were especially beautiful this year. Another neat town is Cambridge.

Super Contributor

The best lobster rolls is at Red's Eats. Can't remember exactly what town.

You should go to LL Bean in Freeport also, well worth the trip, lots of outlets around there also.