Super Contributor

Question about posting the same topic on multiple boards

I've noticed this more and more recently. Why do posters start the same thread on multiple boards? I would guess it is to gain the most amount of views, and thus, responses(?) While I understand the logic, I have to admit that it's a bit confusing to me at times. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

For instance, I might respond to the thread in one board - then forget, and see it again on another board (minus my response). Then I think, "gosh, did I get poofed?" But then I'll read through the other responses and realize it's not the same thread as the one I responded to. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I find that this makes it difficult to follow threads and offer/receive feedback, simply from a continuity standpoint (i.e. which thread were your comments actually posted on?). Also, there is often a redundancy of information that appears across each of the threads.

Well, I guess that there's really no point I'm trying to make here - just wondering if anyone else has noticed this lately and gets confused like I do? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about posting the same topic on multiple boards

Since I don't always look at the nic of the person who started the thread, I can't say that this has been a big problem. What I don't like is when there are multiple threads on the same subject (i.e. Lisa Leaving or Joan River's passing).

Super Contributor

do like I do...Just post away. Do not give it much thought. They all seem to get buried back on 2007 at some point. Well except if you are a huge Lisa fan.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand completely. With big topics, like Joan Rivers or Lisa's regisnation, threads appear everywhere, and in multiple number. Some stick and some dont. Because there are so many sub forums on the Q boards someone may start a post anywhere. Stay with the group you gravitate toward, or go for all .

Honored Contributor

Colonel Meow, if you're talking about posting the exact same thread on multiple threads, I would think that might be considered spamming. Yes?

Depending upon the content, though, I can see maybe posting in a couple forums.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Colonel Meow, I think some people do it because some of the forums don't show up when we choose "View All Categories" and the poster wants to get more exposure and responses. I have to agree, it gets confusing remembering which one we posted on. Also, I think it dilutes the "quality" of the threads when there are so many with the same topic, because people tire of trying to keep up with all of them.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thanks for the responses so far! But maybe I should clarify. What I'm referring to is the exact same topic started by the same poster across multiple boards. (Not just a topic about the same thing started by multiple posters.)

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 dooBdoo said:

Colonel Meow, I think some people do it because some of the forums don't show up when we choose "View All Categories" and the poster wants to get more exposure and responses. I have to agree, it gets confusing remembering which one we posted on. Also, I think it dilutes the "quality" of the threads when there are so many with the same topic, because people tire of trying to keep up with all of them.

Exactly, you get it! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't mind it if a person started the same thread in, say, two forums. If you're looking for answers (vs. just attention), it can be difficult to decide where the larger number of posters might see your question. But more than two threads smacks of either attention-seeking or pot-stirring to me. There's a lot of pot-stirring and game-playing on these forums by those who think they're being subtle but who have been spotted a mile away.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Colonel Meow, if you're talking about posting the exact same thread on multiple threads, I would think that might be considered spamming. Yes?

Depending upon the content, though, I can see maybe posting in a couple forums.

I don't consider the threads I'm referring to as spamming. I think the OP simply wants to garner as much exposure as possible (which I completely understand). It just gets confusing, is all I'm saying! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}