Super Contributor

~ NOTW ~ (Nail of the Week! - October edition)

Hello Lovelies, Happy Saturday!

We are watching the autumn leaves drift past our windows here. The sun light through the cottonwood leaves makes them glow like gold. Quite nice!

I posted on lulu2's thread yesterday that not creating a new and different mani for a weekly NOTW gives me the freedom to revisit and repeat mani's I especially enjoy and that's exactly what I've done with this one -- I've worn a fresh version of it for the past three weeks! That hasn't happened in years, so you can tell I like it. It has a lovely Fall-ish look to me and goes well with khaki and other Fall colors.

I began with my usual base coat of Nailtiques Formula 2,

Then, since this is done with all-metallic polishes, I used a coat of Nfu-Oh Aqua Base, which greatly improves the application smoothness of metallic or holographic polishes which tend to dry fast and show streaks.

Next I applied one coat of Essie "No Place Like Chrome", and another coat of Aqua Base.

Now comes the fun part: I used a piece of aluminum foil and a disposable foam makeup wedge, and painted a stripe of Essie "No Place Like Chrome", Essie "Good As Gold", and Essie "Penny Talk" close together on the foil, pressed the thin edge of the foam wedge onto the polish stripes and then rolled it across my nail. Easy, quick way to do an ombréed polish look!

I finished with a coat of Seche Vite and cleaned up the sides of the fingers with acetone and a small brush.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2u5tcte.jpg

Have a great weekend and let me know if you like it as much as I do!

Lola
Honored Contributor

Re: ~ NOTW ~ (Nail of the Week! - October edition)

it sounds lovely and looks pretty but it's hard to see the gradation in color that is clearly there from your explanation. you know what kind of Saturday I am having lol but that's what I get for asking a straight man to pick a nail polish color. I should have known he'd go for the flashiest most over the top. last week I wore an Orly color, artificial sweetener, that was a pale mauve and I have to say that is some really good stuff! While it takes a few coats to get the true color nary a chip or peel for a week! it was too subdued for his taste which is why I gave Mark a choice the following week. I haven't done any artwork lately, I was using the stencils, but now I want to try the tin foil/wedge trick!
Honored Contributor

Hi Lola, how wonderful to see you again. I REALLY miss your thread. I hope you are well.

I love metallic polishes and have quite a collection. With a lot of practice, I may be able to do a similar manicure. I have a free weekend as my husband is in Florida following his alma mater.

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Andreatoo said: it sounds lovely and looks pretty but it's hard to see the gradation in color that is clearly there from your explanation. you know what kind of Saturday I am having lol but that's what I get for asking a straight man to pick a nail polish color. I should have known he'd go for the flashiest most over the top. last week I wore an Orly color, artificial sweetener, that was a pale mauve and I have to say that is some really good stuff! While it takes a few coats to get the true color nary a chip or peel for a week! it was too subdued for his taste which is why I gave Mark a choice the following week. I haven't done any artwork lately, I was using the stencils, but now I want to try the tin foil/wedge trick!

Hi Andreatoo! Can't see the color gradations? I'd say, mission accomplished then! LOL. You can see the difference in color between the base and tip of the nail, I hope?

I was on a glitter kick this summer and wore it for almost a month, so I invested in a set of rubber finger protectors from the office supply store. I cut a jumbo cotton ball into five thin slices, dampen with pure acetone, put one slice and a finger protector on each glitter-polished nail and wait 5 minutes; take off the finger protector and put back in the box for next time, then use a clean cotton round to swipe off the cotton ball slice and glitter. Much less glitter-scatter with this method and SO much easier than that foil-wrapped method. My friends love it too, so go ahead and let Mark make a glitter choice, and you'll be prepared!

Lola
Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 lulu2 said:

Hi Lola, how wonderful to see you again. I REALLY miss your thread. I hope you are well.

I love metallic polishes and have quite a collection. With a lot of practice, I may be able to do a similar manicure. I have a free weekend as my husband is in Florida following his alma mater.

Hello lulu, thank you, and it's wonderful to see you again, too! I don't know about you, but with both of us retired, a weekend at home alone would really appeal to me! Not that I don't love having DH here to talk to too.

I think you'll find the wedge technique easy and fun to do. I also sometimes use a disposable foam-tipped eyeshadow applicator for polish-sponging. The top coat is the important finishing step.

Lola
Valued Contributor

LOLA! Love the Fall nail posting! I have a soft gold I like *Debut-tint* #180 Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure.

Thanks for posting your suggestions about removing glitter polish, i will get the five finger protectors at the office supply.

I am having good luck with the Nailtiques 2 Plus and always have a thin coat on along with Strong as Hoof strengthen nail/cuticle cream.

Nice Fall day here in SW GA, sunny and 75degrees. Watching Alabama vs Texas A&M along with Georgia vs Arkansas.

Thank you for sharing your information and inspiration in nail care!

Roll Tide,

CAT

Valued Contributor

What a very attractive look you have achieved. I needed something to take my mind off the computer torment we are in today. Lola to the rescue!!

We have a new router. The wireless printer won't talk to our phones or computers!!!! We can't figure out what is glitching the system. Hours of frustrated woman-time.

Hoping to see you next month!

Cynthia

Honored Contributor

Aurora borealis!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Just Bee---Perfect visual

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 gacat123 said:

LOLA! Love the Fall nail posting! I have a soft gold I like *Debut-tint* #180 Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure.

Thanks for posting your suggestions about removing glitter polish, i will get the five finger protectors at the office supply.

I am having good luck with the Nailtiques 2 Plus and always have a thin coat on along with Strong as Hoof strengthen nail/cuticle cream.

Nice Fall day here in SW GA, sunny and 75degrees. Watching Alabama vs Texas A&M along with Georgia vs Arkansas.

Thank you for sharing your information and inspiration in nail care!

Roll Tide,

CAT

Hi gacat!

I should have said, there are 12 (I'm still wondering where I lost one!) finger protectors in the box, so you can do both hands at the same time, using two sliced cotton balls -- so both hands are done about the same time. Glad to hear you're having success with your nail care regimen!

We're still having some 75, even 77 degree days too, but the nights are chilly. DH is talking about switching from A/C to heat, but I like this "no mechanicals" time of year the best!

So, did the Crimson Tide reign victorious? We watched the end of the UCLA game and worried that players from the other team were being sent to the ER right and left!

Lola