Valued Contributor

O/T - Went to Thyroid (End) Doctor...RESULTS

Well, I don't know if any of the original ladies will see this posting but I had posted requests for comments about thyroid problems.

I went to the End. today and was given the BRUSH OFF.

First off, I watched for the doctor's facial appearance when he opened the door..... and saw me....plus size ....he kind of made up his face.

This has happened to me before, SO ....that is way I try to be INFORMED when I go to doctors.

TO give the whole story, I prepare for medical appointments I made sure my appearance was good, smelled nice, makeup, etc..but appearance should not matter....as long as I don't look like I'm a physical threat....the main points is...I had my written notes of my medications, symptoms, when started they started, TSH test results from the past, recent test results, suggestions for testing.

He did ....1) tried to tell me my symptoms were not accurate for one type of thyroid problem, 2) REFUSED to have be give blood to be tested for an updated TSH, 3) listened to my heart beat and lungs for breathing (WHAT the HELLZ....) 4) told me I didn't have thyroid problems after touching my throat.

I said thank you for your time and I knew right away....go do another doctor.

Mind you this doctor is the Chief of the End Department.

Super Contributor

Re: O/T - Went to Thyroid (End) Doctor...RESULTS

Sunshine - is it possible that maybe you don't have a thyroid problem. Did he have an explanation for your symptoms? Could it be an adrenal problem?

I hate when I hear about uncaring medical professionals. Luckily, I have all great ones now...and I'm no longer a curvy size 6 (thank you cancer!).

Valued Contributor

F1 - thanks, I had not looked into an adrenal problem. I will have to educate myself on what that is...thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

Good for you! You might want to see if you can find a female endo to try. Never was concerned but after 20+ years with a HORRIBLE male MD, I took a recommendation for my female endo, and she's terrific.
Valued Contributor

thanks....I was also told to see a naturopath and see what that doctor says.

Trusted Contributor

sunshine...

That doctor is a jerk. I have had the same reaction from some doctors, they "size you up when they walk in the exam room...yes. I meant the pun.

Before I was diagnosed with problems, I went to an Army doctor...he sized me up..."oh no, you don't have any problems, you just have to lose weight". At the time I was not that heavy.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Next doctor, an GYN, told me the same thing.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Next doctor, another GYN, during my routine exam (YUCK), listened to my heart, chest, ears, nose, yadda yadda...then he felt my throat. He went "uh huh", and sent me to the lab for bloodwork and I had a sonogram. This was about 10 months after the first GYN told me to lose weight.

When the sonogram came back, I had a large nodule on the right side of the thyroid, and needed another biopsy and ultrasound this time. (Deeper penetration) Results came back....I had a LARGE nodule on the right, but I also had "fingers" that had attached themselves to my vocal cords. Surgery was needed asap.

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Went in for the surgery...everything went well, took longer than expected due to the "fingers". When the surgeon came in to the room to check on me..he said..."Say something to me". I said "Hi. how ya doing?" He went "phew!". Then he told me about the vocal chords..because they didn't tell me before I went in to surgery.

So they removed 2/3 of my thryoid, and I also have Hashimoto's on top of it. I take 300mcg a day of Synthroid, and my balance is still not quite right, but we deal with it.

Bottom line, get another doctor, do to an endocrynologist if you haven't already, and make them do your bloodwork.

Okay, someone please tell me why the letters O......&.....B are not allowed as an abbreviation for Obstetrics? LOL

Super Contributor

On 10/17/2014 sunshine3215 said:

F1 - thanks, I had not looked into an adrenal problem. I will have to educate myself on what that is...thanks!!!

You shouldn't have to educate yourself, that's what a healthcare professional is for. You might be able to benefit from posting over in the "Health and Fitness" section.

Respected Contributor

Thyroid problems can affect pulse rate. As for the rest of it, I don't know.

Esteemed Contributor

First thing I can think of is to get another doctor, one who explains things to you and has patience and will allow you time to ask questions and get answers. Also someone who will make sure you are referred to someone who can help you if you DON'T HAVE THYROID problems.

We have all been there, someone who does not have time for us and makes us feel worse for trying.

Frequent Contributor

If you are open to a more alternative approach look into Functional Medicine doctors. They take a more whole body approach. From what I have read lately they specialize in thyroid and gut (bacteria) health. One of these doctors will be my next stop if my current revised thyroid treatment shows no results. Best wishes on your journey!