Super Contributor

Which Waterproof Grey Hair Root Cover-Up Product is Best? (Great Hair Day, Color Wow, etc)

Hello,

I have dark hair but those darn stray white hairs are so noticeable in my part! I'm looking for a product that I can put on to cover the grey hairs in-between coloring. Up until now I've been yanking them out--ha!

I want something that will last through workouts if needed (because I won't have time to remove prior to working out). And if I get caught in the rain I don't want it running down & dripping!

Thanks so much!

Respected Contributor

Re: Which Waterproof Grey Hair Root Cover-Up Product is Best? (Great Hair Day, Color Wow, etc)

If you go to a salon to color your hair you should ask them for the products that they use or at least the name of the products that they use and just color the roots. This will make the color last a few weeks longer. At least that is what I used to do. I have started coloring my hair at home occasionally. Although, you can't really do that unless you are using the same products that your hairdresser uses. You can try one of those drugstore brands but if it you use the wrong color it could be very noticeable.

Super Contributor

Re: Which Waterproof Grey Hair Root Cover-Up Product is Best? (Great Hair Day, Color Wow, etc)

When I was fighting the white skunk part for years....JR's great day powder was the Bomb! I could not have survived without it. Now I went natural and have platinum white hair...and am enjoying my freedom from coloring.
Esteemed Contributor

Clairol Root Touch Up is easy, blends great, last for 2 weeks!!!

Frequent Contributor

Hi! I have dark hair also; I use a great brand from qvc: color wow ! In the black shade and it works great! I use it every day, covers gray showing in the part or scalp or sideburns ; I use it between hair color appts and it never runs Its inexpensive Def try it Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

"Clairol Root Touch Up" (for when my current color is 'permanent').

"Roux Tween Time Touch Up Stick" (for my 'demi' or 'semi' -permanent current color).

Clairol lasts me at least three weeks, as I only wash my hair 2-3 times/week.

Roux is for whenever I need a very quick touch up; just wet the crayon and apply.

I also have med-to-dark hair, and have been happily using both for years. The best part? They fit my very tight budget. 8)

Super Contributor

If I didn't have white hair and wanted to cover some grays, I'd use Color Wow, just based on how it looked in the presentations on QVC. I DO have Great Hair Day in White (the only line I've found) and think it's very good. Some complained that the formula had changed (preferred the original) but I'm happy with the current formulation (never used the original).

Respected Contributor

I also have and like JR great hair day for my part area BUT I also use and love Just For Men for beards and mustaches for my part area and that lets me go another 2 or 3 weeks between coloring. It comes in 2 tubes, one is the color and the other is the developer. You get a little try and brush and just squeeze out the same amount of each tube into that little tray and mix( I use a toothpick) than apply.

I use a Q tip to apply to my brows, works great and use either that brush or one of my other brushes to apply to my part area. This works the best and you don't have to worry about getting wet, love this stuff, been using it over 20 years. Put on and wash off in 5 to 10 minutes I let it on 10 minutes.

Respected Contributor

If you are going to color your hair, make sure you wash out the Color Wow powder. I forgot I had it in my hair and had my hair professionally colored. The hairs that had the powder on it did not take the dye. Stylist had to wash the Color Wow out and start all over with the color process.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all of the replies! I greatly appreciate it!

Since my hair is mainly dark & I just have a few greys I think I'll try the Color Wow. I could still just pull them out but I know eventually more will be coming & that will stop being an option at some point-ha!

And thanks for the tip, BarbiHollywood! I'll make sure I wash it out before getting color.