Super Contributor

For fellow sun protection whack jobs: My new fave! 22% zinc!!!

Simply Zinc Sun Whip SPF 30

1.7 oz, $38 CAD

Read about this somewhere, got so excited had to order IMMEDIATELY (sun protection whack job). Canadian compay, the HQ in Ottawa was closed for the day but found a spa in Vancouver that carried it.

This is the FIRST high zinc product that disappears immediately leaving no white clumps in my eyebrows if I get too close, no white patches if I'm too heavy handed, no balling!!

Not matte, but not super shiny. I've worn under my SuperGoop CC without powder, and alone with just a dusting of BE or Celebration Foundation.

Medicinal Ingredients: (w/w) 22% Zinc Oxide*

Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Aqua, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride*, Glyceryl Isostearate*, Polyhydroxystearic Acid*, Cetearyl Olivate*, Sorbitan Olivate*, Trimethylene glycol*, Methylcellulose, Tetrapeptide-21, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum

Rated "1" by EWG -- top rating for safety.

They also have one called "Every Morning Sun Whip" SPF 25 with 15% zinc, 7.5% Octinoxate. "Cashmere matte finish". I'm not wild about the octinoxate, but there's a school of thought it bumps up the UVB protection of zinc. And even with the octinoxate, EWG still rates it a 1-2, so rated safe.

Medicinal Ingredients: 15% Zinc Oxide (Zin-ClearTM), 7.5% Octinoxate (Encapsulated).

Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Aqua, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Isostearate, Polyhydroxytearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-75 Stearate, Ceteth 20, Steareth-20, Glycerin, Cetyl Dimethicone, Methycellulose, Trisodium Ethylenediame Disuccinate, Xanthan Gum, Sclerotium Gum, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Silica, PVP, Chlorphenesin, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA.

Both are 1.7oz and $38 CAD. The Cyberderm company ships anywhere for $10.

I emailed the company to ask if there were any US outlets/distributors (sadly, not at this time) and received a FAST response from the Executive Director. Very nice, and helpful.

Anyway, yes, I'm off the rails when it comes to good sun protection, but I think there might be a couple more out there who feel the same, and if so, hope this helps.

Site is cyberderm.ca

Trusted Contributor

Re: For fellow sun protection whack jobs: My new fave! 22% zinc!!!

Great info! Thanks for sharing. I love a good physical SPF that's not greasy!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the review!

Oh, and thank you for alerting me to the fact that Supergoop CC Cream added a Fair-Light version. I'm wearing it today and love it. The Light-Medium didn't adjust down to my fair skin, but I still had a hard time giving it up because it was so good. Now the Fair-Light adjusts to my skintone and I'm so happy!

Honored Contributor

glad you found one you like, maren! That much zinc would set my skin on fire, unfortunately. 20% is the max for me and most of those I can't even use.

Super Contributor

On 10/16/2014 Karena said:

Great info! Thanks for sharing. I love a good physical SPF that's not greasy!!

For me (a zinc fan) finding the non-greasy has always been the problem. This IS a bit shiny, so it might be too much for your liking. Maybe the Every Day stuff would be better? AND, if you live in a sunny climate, the extra UVB boost would be beneficial. In Seattle, we have so many cloudy and overcast days that I'm more concerned about UVA (UVA comes through clouds, UVB is dispersed somewhat).

Interesting, though, that even though "SPF" ONLY rates the UVB protection, the Simply Whip rates higher on that scale.

Anyway, if I try the Every Day, you can be sure I'll review it!

Super Contributor

On 10/16/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Thanks for the review!

Oh, and thank you for alerting me to the fact that Supergoop CC Cream added a Fair-Light version. I'm wearing it today and love it. The Light-Medium didn't adjust down to my fair skin, but I still had a hard time giving it up because it was so good. Now the Fair-Light adjusts to my skintone and I'm so happy!

Isn't that stuff amazing? And, unlike other companies, they actually listened to customer requests and introduced the Fair Light. I'm so glad they did -- and glad you're loving it!!

Super Contributor

On 10/16/2014 HappyDaze said:

glad you found one you like, maren! That much zinc would set my skin on fire, unfortunately. 20% is the max for me and most of those I can't even use.

Awww, thanks, HD! I know you have issues with zinc. They promise it's non-irritating (and if I see "used for diaper rash!" one more time...) but in real life there ARE those who don't tolerate it well.

Is your skin generally sensitive, or is it just the zinc that's picking on you? :-)

Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 MarenSeattle said:

Awww, thanks, HD! I know you have issues with zinc. They promise it's non-irritating (and if I see "used for diaper rash!" one more time...) but in real life there ARE those who don't tolerate it well.

Is your skin generally sensitive, or is it just the zinc that's picking on you? :-)

you know, my skin use to be so normal but these days, it has gotten a little more sensitive than normal. High amts of zinc just seem to make my skin react the same way it does with chemical sunscreens. There are a few I can use with 20% zinc but generally 15% is where I am pretty safe without a reaction. I also like my sunscreens to have a bit of TD in it as well.

And I agree about the supergoop fair/light- wayyyy better in match than the light/med!

Super Contributor

On 10/16/2014 MarenSeattle said:

you know, my skin use to be so normal but these days, it has gotten a little more sensitive than normal. High amts of zinc just seem to make my skin react the same way it does with chemical sunscreens. There are a few I can use with 20% zinc but generally 15% is where I am pretty safe without a reaction. I also like my sunscreens to have a bit of TD in it as well.

And I agree about the supergoop fair/light- wayyyy better in match than the light/med!

I think you're more than safe w/15% -- I just take it to extremes (shock, I know). Are you sensitive to zinc elsewhere? Oysters? Anyway, happy you, too, like the SuperGoop Fair/Light. :-)

Super Contributor

Awesome find! You know I need as much protection as possible with my medical background and living here in always sunny AZ.

Thanks for sharing this info!!