Valued Contributor

OK, I feel silly asking this question but, here goes. I know that argan oil is made from a nut that grows on a tree in Africa. I always buy the 100% pure organic, unprocessed. With all the news about Ebola in Africa is anyone afraid of buying Argan Oil?

Respected Contributor

I think Morrocco is far enough north, away from the infected areas.

Respected Contributor

Google Argan oil. Where is it from? Answer: from a tree that grows in Morocco. Now look up on a map. Where is Morocco? Where are Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea? Africa is a BIG continent, very diverse. Is Morocco in the hot zone? How is Ebola transmitted? No, I would not be worried about argan oil.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor
There's been no cases documented of Ebola being transmitted by a nut (unless a human one).
Honored Contributor

Don't feel silly, but no, there is no reason for concern. Be concerned about the diseases where there is far more likelihood of your being infected and take the necessary and reasonable precautions.

I fear the hysteria more than I fear Ebola.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor
On 10/15/2014 Alsee said: There's been no cases documented of Ebola being transmitted by a nut (unless a human one).

LOLOL{#emotions_dlg.lol}

In all seriousness though, I have worried myself about things from Africa myself. I literally would not buy a product next to oranges from Africa at the store. I had no clue where those oranges were from and who handled them.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/15/2014 SeaGal said:

I think Morrocco is far enough north, away from the infected areas.

That's where the nut is grown.

But then it is shipped/transported/processed into it's oil form. It passes thru many hands to get to the final state for the end user.

And all of those hands are...........where?

I don't have the answer. Just another question.

Respected Contributor

Snowpuppy, you are right, I thought about this further after my response.

She asks a good question really... Smile

Trusted Contributor
On 10/15/2014 Haddie said:
On 10/15/2014 Alsee said: There's been no cases documented of Ebola being transmitted by a nut (unless a human one).

LOLOL{#emotions_dlg.lol}

In all seriousness though, I have worried myself about things from Africa myself. I literally would not buy a product next to oranges from Africa at the store. I had no clue where those oranges were from and who handled them.

It's easy to joke but you're right. No one seems to have many answers and there is nothing wrong with being careful. No need for panic but we all should think and be cautious. I'm even concerned about flying. Is that dumb?
Regular Contributor

From everything I have learned about this virus, it's not particularly stable outside of a body, and could not live in the oil.

Ebola has been around in Africa for quite awhile, and there has never been a case of it traveling here or anywhere in something like oil. I'm sure we would have heard if it had happened.

It sounds like a silly question at first, but in light of recent events, I don't know if there are any silly questions regarding Ebola. I think we need to educate ourselves, not just obliviously trust, and then make decisions we feel comfortable with. That said, I am still buying and using argan oil from Africa. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}