Occasional Contributor

Drugstore hair color and eSalon

What is a good drugstore permanent hair color.....I'm covering mostly gray? Also, has anyone ever done business with eSalon? I've heard of them lately but don't know anyone who has ordered from them.

I've gotten so much good information from these boards, thank you. I was hoping you could help me with my hair coloring.

TIA

Joan

Valued Contributor

Re: Drugstore hair color and eSalon

I have tried many box colors, but the one I like best for brunettes is Clariol Age Defy. I love the result of the light golden brown shade plus they give you a ton of conditioner to use for a long period of time.

Remember, if you are going to use box color for the first time, always remember to go at a maximum, TWO shades lighter in box shades than the color intended. Why? Box shades ALWAYS are darker and flatter in results than you think and you can ALWAYS slowly deepen ONE shade at time to get your final intended result. Follow this for box color and you will eventually find the desired shade.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I have just recently started coloring my hair from home but I use professional products and order them online. I use a combination of logics color dna system, 4n, (medium brown), and revlon eq gloss, 07, saffron. If you want to color at home I would suggest that you go to sally beauty supply or a similar store and find someone that can help you. Although, buying a boxed product is ok and many women use them. I just believe that you get better results with professional products. I also have read great things about esalon and I believe that it is very reasonably priced. I would try this if I didn't already have hair coloring products that work for me. You should just google esalon and I would imagine that you can find reviews about this product.

FYI, my decision to color at home is since my old hairdresser gave me the products that she used. That is how I knew what products to buy. I no longer have the convenience of going to my old hairdresser since they moved to another location that isn't convenient for me. I did find a new hairdresser who gave me a great haircut but I wasn't very happy with the color that she used. I like my products better so will use them most of the time. I may occasionally have my hairdresser color my hair if I am too busy.

Honored Contributor

I have used Garnier Olia Hair Color for about 2 years and really like it. It doesn't dry out my hair and the color stays consistent. The coverage of gray is great for me. I use Med Blonde.

Today I am trying my eSalon color. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and am anxious to give it a try. I will post back later with an update on the color.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you and thank you about the tip to go lighter. My former hairdresser would get me the color and I would do it myself at home. I no longer go to her so I'm on my own. There are so many companies that make color. I will definitely try this one

Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 DREAMON said:

I have used Garnier Olia Hair Color for about 2 years and really like it. It doesn't dry out my hair and the color stays consistent. The coverage of gray is great for me. I use Med Blonde.

Today I am trying my eSalon color. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and am anxious to give it a try. I will post back later with an update on the color.Smile

Dreamon, I would imagine that you will be happy with the results. I have read many reviews that were mostly all positive. It will be interesting to see if you like the results.

Trusted Contributor

I've ordered from eSalon and can recommend them. I used to have my hair colored at the salon but decided to do it myself to save money. I'm at least 50% or more gray and colored my hair with one color, no fancy highlights, permanent color. Their color covered the gray beautifully, no 'hot' roots. Their price is about half what I paid my salon but it's more expensive than box hair color. I purchased color for the roots and a gloss for the ends.

ESalon is great if you want professional color but have no idea what color to buy at a Sally's and don't want to experiment. You take a photo of yourself and use their on-line questionnaire to figure out what color is best for you. They will look at your photo and give recommendations.

You can have eSalon automatically ship the color to you on your desired schedule and you can easily make changes to the color, too.

Contributor

Thanks. I will certainly be trying esalon products. Last time I went to the salon, I was charged $110 for one color. No highlights, just one color. No gloss, just one color. Was very disappointed. And now my hair looks very dull, dark brown. I told the lady that I was usually charged $115 for highlights and a gloss.... Response, "Oh well." Thanks for the great information. Will also be looking for a new stylist. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Regular Contributor

I've been using NaturColor which I buy at Whole Foods. It's from Italy and contains no ammonia and smells so much nicer than drugstore brands. It leaves my hair soft and shiny with a hint of highlights. It's about twice as expensive as drugstore brands but worth it.

Whatever brand you end up using I suggest you also buy a Roots Only bottle. It's a bottle with a cap which has 10 prongs for easy application. The cap also fits on most bottles that come with hair dyes. It makes coloring my hair so easy.

Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 punky48 said:

Thanks. I will certainly be trying esalon products. Last time I went to the salon, I was charged $110 for one color. No highlights, just one color. No gloss, just one color. Was very disappointed. And now my hair looks very dull, dark brown. I told the lady that I was usually charged $115 for highlights and a gloss.... Response, "Oh well." Thanks for the great information. Will also be looking for a new stylist. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I live in the Boston area and even some of the average price salons located in the city don't charge that much for a single color. I agree that should be the price for highlights and a gloss not a single process. Even if you don't have success coloring at home you definitely need to find a new stylist. Have you had your hair cut? If they charge that much for a single process color I would imagine that a cut would also be very expensive.

Although, I would imagine that prices are higher at some salons and also in different parts of the country.