Honored Contributor

I HAVE DARK BROWN HAIR-WANT IT LIGHT BROWN....................

How can I take my dark brown hair to light brown at home?

I know that you can only lighten 1 or 2 shades-is it possible to do at home?

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: I HAVE DARK BROWN HAIR-WANT IT LIGHT BROWN....................

Look in the hair-color aisle for a brand that will lighten without turning it red

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Also depends on if dark brown is your natural color. If it's virgin hair you can lighten it one or two shades. If your hair is colored, then it won't work. Color will not lift color.
Honored Contributor

Save yourself from the trauma of an at-home hair coloring disaster (BTDT). Go to a professional.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/12/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Save yourself from the trauma of an at-home hair coloring disaster (BTDT). Go to a professional.

I could not agree more with JeanLouise! Go to a professional.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/12/2014 Desertdi said:

Look in the hair-color aisle for a brand that will lighten without turning it red

Desertdi, this may be a silly Q, but would it say that right on the box? I only ever get root color, and the only thing I ever look for is the 100% gray coverage, and usually use Clairol Roots.

The Clairol people told me to use a clarifying shampoo. I had called to ask about one time I root colored, it turned out much darker than the shade on the box. I still don't root color using my natural shade; I use a couple shades lighter.

Also, how your hair accepts the color has to do with its porosity:

Extreme caution must be used when performing chemical services on overly porous hair to prevent damage. Haircolor will take much more quickly and strongly in overly porous hair (and semi-permanent and demi-permanent haircolors will fade much more quickly). Perms and straighteners will process much faster in high-porosity hair as well.

Super Contributor

I agree with going to a professional....they may highlight your hair without radically changing the base color...I find this the most natural looking way to lighten your overall color. Good luckSmiley Happy))
Respected Contributor

I would also go to a professional. I once had a color that was too dark and it took a combination of highlights in addition to a a lighter color to lighten my hair. I never would have had the same results if I had tried to color at home. Once your hair is the desired color than you can go back to coloring at home if that is what you prefer. From what I remember I wanted to color my hair a shade darker but it was too dark. My hair color is medium brown and the resulting color was closer to dark brown/black. My hair currently is still close to my natural medium brown color and I color just to cover grey.

Honored Contributor

Go see a colorist, its not as easy as slapping on color, your hair might need to be stripped first and then colored.

Or you could just add some high lights in to lighten the hair up a bit

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My natural color eventually turned black through the years but I had gotten to light brown ( which highlighted in the sun) by using "dark ash blonde". No problem, even the first time I colored it. I used that shade for years!! ( now I have it professionally done ) The color companies will tell you that they do not recommend using the lighter shades for very dark hair but I am here to tell you it works like a dream!!