Valued Contributor

ot/do shipping charges keep you from buying ?

I wanted to buy some philosophy fresh cream but with shipping it is not worth it, I don't know why shipping is so high! Amazon ships free with prime, and fast! Why can't qvc be more like amazon?
Super Contributor

Re: ot/do shipping charges keep you from buying ?

Sometimes. WIth WA State tax being added to the cost of the item PLUS shipping, it can really add a chunk of money. The recent Bare Minerals (or BE or whatever it's called, with the humongous Purity Made Simple) was around $165, with the S&H (which was less than $5!) plus WA State Tax, it came to $185! So maybe it's my State's tax that ultimately will keep me from ordering. But some of the S&H charges are pretty steep, IMO.

Honored Contributor

yes but amazon prime also costs you $90 a year. I don' think I've ever paid close to that in shipping for items I've purchased in a year since most give you free shipping over a certain amount. Even my QVC purchases have never added up to $90 in s/h fees in a year. So no, Amazon prime is NOT "free" shipping and in that way, QVC and amazon are very alike except that you get your Amazon purchases faster. But in both cases,regardless of how you pay it (either yearly up front with Amazon prime or with each purchase at QVC) you are still paying for shipping.

I truly get free shipping from amazon- never paid for prime but never had to pay for shipping either since I always purchase at least $35 when I place an order (easy to do these days). Okay so it doesn't get here in 2 days but it DOES get here much faster than QVC shipping. So that is the ONLY advantage of Amazon prime's shipping over QVC.

But I digress- to answer you question if shipping costs stop me from purchasing, yes, it does all the time.

Valued Contributor

Absolutely it will stop me from buying and QVC has some really high shipping charges across the board. I will only buy from Amazon when I have met the limit for free shipping. I am even so cheap about paying shipping that when I order from Lands End, I will order two items. I do so and avoid their $8.00 shipping charges and just return one item. I live right near a Sears store and go to the Mall frequently so it only costs me a bit of time to return.

Super Contributor

it can

Super Contributor

To answer the question, yes, the shipping charges usually put the purchase price over what I would pay at a brick & mortar or through Amazon Prime.

I have to disagree with you a bit, HappyDaze. Amazon Prime offers a lot more than just free shipping for me. I live in AZ so getting my purchase in 2 days or less saves a package from sitting in heat somewhere. A big deal here. Do to medical stuff, I'm often not able to get out so this helps me out quite a bit.

Also with Prime you get P Video, P Music, Kindle lending library, a free soon to be published book a month. Lots of good stuff. I can understand it being excessive to some.

*I really think QVC should become a little more innovative when it comes to their shipping charges, especially for frequent shoppers!

Respected Contributor

Yes, shipping costs can definitely prevent me from buying. I sometimes order products online that I can't find in a local store. I currently order my hair color products online. I decided a few weeks ago after my recent hair salon appointment for a color that I liked the products my old hairdresser used. My old hairdresser gave me the products to use at home when I felt I needed a touchup. These are professional products and I know that I couldn't find them at a local store.

Honored Contributor

Yes they do

Honored Contributor

On 10/10/2014 F1wild said:

To answer the question, yes, the shipping charges usually put the purchase price over what I would pay at a brick & mortar or through Amazon Prime.

I have to disagree with you a bit, HappyDaze. Amazon Prime offers a lot more than just free shipping for me. I live in AZ so getting my purchase in 2 days or less saves a package from sitting in heat somewhere. A big deal here. Do to medical stuff, I'm often not able to get out so this helps me out quite a bit.

Also with Prime you get P Video, P Music, Kindle lending library, a free soon to be published book a month. Lots of good stuff. I can understand it being excessive to some.

*I really think QVC should become a little more innovative when it comes to their shipping charges, especially for frequent shoppers!

The cost of Prime doesn't seem excessive to me, I was just pointing out that you are still paying for something so it isn't "technically" free. I personally would never use the kindle and video and music stuff so those things aren't attractive to me but I can see how it would be for some.

Honored Contributor

I look at the total cost. If it's something I really need or want, I'll shop around to get the best total cost.

I can think of a few times when I've spent almost as much on shipping as on a product itself, but the total cost was either the best I could find among several sites or only one site offered the product I wanted.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland