Valued Contributor

I think I liked it better when I just had one of everything

How much eye-shadow does a person need anyway? I used to go to lancolm counter when out of something. It is my favorite makeup. Now I have so much, it is overkill. I have stopped buying, at least for now.
Super Contributor

Re: I think I liked it better when I just had one of everything

I'm there with you. I'm definite trying to change my buying habits when it comes to makeup. Especially now with all the holiday stuff coming out.

Valued Contributor

I'm thinking of throwing out makeup over a year old and starting fresh each year. Is that wrong?
Super Contributor

Nope! If that's what you want to do. I've passed a lot of stuff on to family and friends. Pitched stuff I know was old or wasn't worth giving to someone.

Super Contributor

put in in box's and take it to a closet you seldom use. Start new with the basics, you will see how fast you began to look for a color or cream and this is when you learn just what you want to keep.

Always keep it cool, and keep close dates of purchase-----One day when those box's are either still full or emptied you then decide to keep or boldly get rid of .

Super Contributor

On 10/2/2014 BOYINTX said:

put in in box's and take it to a closet you seldom use. Start new with the basics, you will see how fast you began to look for a color or cream and this is when you learn just what you want to keep.

Always keep it cool, and keep close dates of purchase-----One day when those box's are either still full or emptied you then decide to keep or boldly get rid of .

That's a good idea.

Esteemed Contributor

Anything I've ever gotten rid of, I have barely missed! In fact, life seems easier without it.

I really like paring down in color cosmetic choices, though sometimes it just doesn't seem... well it doesn't seem something. A few trusted palettes seems ideal, but I've never found an eye shadow palette that is all-encompassing - what I want, anyway, in shadow colors and/or styles (shimmers/mattes).

It's only overkill when you have 5 shades of taupe or 5 shades of coral....and maybe for some, the number would be higher.

If you have one of everything, you might get bored quickly, and you'll be back where you started.

Respected Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Persephonel said: I'm thinking of throwing out makeup over a year old and starting fresh each year. Is that wrong?

Most makeup products shouldn't be kept for more than a year or 18 months.

http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/2010/how_to_know_when_your_beauty_products_expire#slide=1

This is just one of the many articles that you can find about how long to keep makeup products.

I know that it isn't easy to do but if you try to just buy what you need you will end up with much fresher makeup products.

Respected Contributor

No matter how many eye shadow shades I have, I always find myself wearing the same one over and over again.

Respected Contributor

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff lately too - I just have too much of everything. And I find myself using the same products every day anyway. Our local Women's Shelter is happy to take unwanted makeup and facial, bath and body products - even used.