New Contributor
What are the best products for fine, thin hair? Nothing seems to work or they leave my hair greasy. Would love suggestions for a mousse or root lifter. Thanks.
Respected Contributor

Re: Hair products for fine hair

Hello, jebridan. Smile

I haven't used these products, but I'll list them for you by shampoo and conditioner, and styling product. They're by a man named Nick Chavez.

---

~Shampoos and Conditioners~

Nick Chavez Plump 'N Thick Thickening Shampoo with collagen

Nick Chavez Plump 'N Thick Leave-In Thickening Conditioner

Nick Chavez Advanced Volume Shampoo and Conditioner with Expansion Technology

Nick Chavez Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner

Nick Chavez Advanced Volume Overnight Dry Volumizer (dry shampoo)

Nick Chavez Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner

---

~Styling Products~

Nick Chavez Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening Spray Gel

Nick Chavez Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening Styling Mist

Nick Chavez Plump 'N Thick Leave-In Thickening Mist with collagen

Nick Chavez Plump 'N Thick Thickening Hairspray with collagen

Nick Chavez Advanced Volume Hairspray

Nick Chavez Advanced Volume Style Booster

Nick Chavez SoftFlocker (styling cream)

Nick Chavez Thirst Quencher Hydrating Hairspray with Argan Oil (medium hold)

Nick Chavez Traditions Aloe Volumizing Gel Whip

Nick Chavez Volumizing Extra Hold Hairspray (extra hold)

Nick Chavez Red Carpet Extra Hold Finishing Hairspray (extra hold)

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor

Hello Jebridan, I have the same struggle. My hair has been particularly difficult lately. I wish I could just wear it in a bun every day like I used to. I just can't pull that look off anymore. There is a few other threads about this if you search for "fine thin hair" etc. Aquage spray gel seems to be a popular suggestion. I ordered it online since I couldn't find a retailer close by. I'll let you know how it works out. "Healthy sexy hair" and "big sexy hair" are popular too but they totally failed me on humid days. The hair sprays I've tried do not survive humid days either. I wish I could find products which would allow me to get away from hair spray all together. I haven't tried Wen. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope we get some new suggestions.
Honored Contributor

I have baby fine, fairly thin, hair and wear it somewhat short.

I use KMS Sea Salt Spray on the roots. Then I use a very firm Joico gel on the crown (for nasty cowlick) and a little all over. I blow it dry using only my fingers. If you use a brush, it'll just make it more limp and flyaway. When dry, I'll use my brush if needed to fix the style but I never dig in with the brush. It just pulls out the style.

I NEVER condition my hair. It makes it too soft and flyaway.

I do NOT use the most current, up and coming, shampoos. They make my hair too soft. I use Paul Mitchell #2 Clarifying shampoo 3-4 times a week. I use Paul Mitchell #3 Clarifying shampoo the other days. I know it's drying but I don't care. I have never had a problem with dry hair/scalp and I get my hair cut every 4-5 weeks.

Super Contributor

I agree and if your purchasing here at the Q you might have found gold in Nick Chavez.

I never apply or use the way the host/stylist show hair product but use smaller amounts so as not to weigh hair down. LESS IS MORE-and when you first use a product for fine hair it is a basic test to create a formula and amount to use that works as your own personal receipe.

I miss TOVA'S Cactine hair care line .

BOYINTX

Super Contributor

Oh the days of JOICE,and KMS----I sold tons of it, and to this day it is still some of the very best in pro products.

Another is Brocato.

Super Contributor

let us know how often you shampoo, What you presently use,and length. Do you color ?.

These are the basic questions that are a must in creating a routine.

I am just waking up and my mind is racing with ideas OR I COULD HAVE PUT ALL MY POST INTO ONE--Pardon my 3 post- Ha

Respected Contributor

On 10/2/2014 BOYINTX said:

I agree and if your purchasing here at the Q you might have found gold in Nick Chavez.

I never apply or use the way the host/stylist show hair product but use smaller amounts so as not to weigh hair down. LESS IS MORE-and when you first use a product for fine hair it is a basic test to create a formula and amount to use that works as your own personal receipe.

BOYINTX

Totally agree. I have short, fine white hair and Nick's products work wonders. Suggest you check out his products on line and choose a couple of things. I certainly recommend his Volumizing Shampoo/Conditioner. They leave my hair soft and shiny and ready for styling. I use Flocker, but sparingly because I don't need much. You really can't go wrong with anything he offers - all are excellent. I AGREE THAT LESS IS MORE WITH ALL STYLING PRODUCTS.

Super Contributor

I have fine, thinner, shoulder-length hair. I have been using Wen exclusively since April and am loving my hair. I had tried it in the past and had a love/hate, but I wasn't using it correctly.

If you wash, rinse, repeat it is holy grail status..I use 8 pumps for first cleanse and then 8 for second and rinse rinse rinse. Add back one pump as leave-in from ears-down and ouila!

I can even AIR DRY my hair and I could NEVER do that in the past.

Anyway..just thought I'd share. A great place to start is with one of their duos...this is a good one to try: A215608

Honored Contributor

I too have very fine straight hair - after a lifetime of being frustrated with it I have found that it is all about the cut for me. There are no products to make it look good if I am expecting it to do something it just does not naturally do. I have 3 - yes 3 - cowlicks so ,my hair can be particularly challenging. I wear it short, layered and I wash it daily then blow dry with a 1 1/2 in brush and if necessary, mousse down a cowlick. usually, however, if cut properly, the cowlicks are under control. I have found I am happier with my hair since i stopped trying to force it to do things it just can not do.