Trusted Contributor

Is there a skincare ingredient that is incompatible with Retin-A?

I often like to layer my skincare over my Retin-A, but seems like I heard once that a certain ingredient rendered the Retin-A inert. Glycolic Acid, perhaps? Anyone know?

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

Re: Is there a skincare ingredient that is incompatible with Retin-A?

I don't think it renders it inert, it's more because of irritation because both are such powerful actives. Many derms recommend using one in the morning and the other in the evening.

I do know that copper and Vit C cancel out each other and I believe it's recommended to rotate the 2, and wait 24 hrs in between them. I want to say it's L-Absorbic Acid Vitamin C and Copper are not compatible and it's okay with MAP C.

Trusted Contributor

It depends.

You'll have to decide for yourself after reading this article, and this article, and this one.

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Sweet Susie said:

It depends.

You'll have to decide for yourself after reading this article, and this article, and this one.

I don't think you can do links now. can you explain your points instead?

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 ladyroxanne said:

It depends.

There is no prohibition against links as long as what's in the link abides with the Standards.

Sweet Susie was thoughtful to post the two links so that we can read the information ourselves.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 OCGurl said:

I don't think it renders it inert, it's more because of irritation because both are such powerful actives. Many derms recommend using one in the morning and the other in the evening.

I do know that copper and Vit C cancel out each other and I believe it's recommended to rotate the 2, and wait 24 hrs in between them. I want to say it's L-Absorbic Acid Vitamin C and Copper are not compatible and it's okay with MAP C.

I've read that opinions have changed regarding Vitamin C and Copper Peptides, and they can now be used at the same time.

Regarding the Retin-A, most every professional opinion that I've read, as well as directly from my dermatologist, say not to use Retin-A and Alpha Hydroxy Acid at the same time. They recommend using Retin-A at night (due to increased sun sensitivity) and AHA's in the daytime. The only contrary opinion I've seen is Paula B.'s. In as much as she can often be a good resource, in this particular situation, I'd adhere what the professionals recommend.

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 suzyQ3 said:

It depends.

There is no prohibition against links as long as what's in the link abides with the Standards.

Sweet Susie was thoughtful to post the two links so that we can read the information ourselves.

my apologies....the links originally wouldn't work for me. I thought then that we were prohibited from posting them. now they work and the info is great! thanks.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 suzyQ3 said:

It depends.

my apologies....the links originally wouldn't work for me. I thought then that we were prohibited from posting them. now they work and the info is great! thanks.

Smile

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Sweet Susie...great information...thanks for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/1/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 10/1/2014 OCGurl said:

I've read that opinions have changed regarding Vitamin C and Copper Peptides, and they can now be used at the same time.

Regarding the Retin-A, most every professional opinion that I've read, as well as directly from my dermatologist, say not to use Retin-A and Alpha Hydroxy Acid at the same time. They recommend using Retin-A at night (due to increased sun sensitivity) and AHA's in the daytime. The only contrary opinion I've seen is Paula B.'s. In as much as she can often be a good resource, in this particular situation, I'd adhere what the professionals recommend.

It's the form of the C that may affect using both together. It's a fact that L-ascorbic acid placed with the metal, copper does have a turning effect. I don't know if it's ever really been proven on skin, though. Or inside the human body. (Think of your multi vitamin.)

I don't know that any ingredient is incompatible with Retin-A, but it is my understanding that Retin A is a treatment ingredient that stands on its own.