Honored Contributor

HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – October 2014

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

/></p> <p> </p>

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Re: HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – October 2014

Well, I wish I could say I have been eating healthy, but no, I havent. Hangs head in shame. I am currently surrounded by loads of stuff. This seems to be the last area in my "controlling shopping" quest so I guess it is still a work in progress. I need to start being mindful because as we approach the holiday season, I can see it only getting worst. The seasonal items are staring to surface and the excuse "hey, its only for a few months" is starting to kick in. I dont want to double my junk load. It is a little disturbing because I had things down to just one or two junk items in the house and was loving it. I wasnt feeling overwhelmed but it didnt last long. So, this is clearly the area I need to focus on next.

I am recommitting to eating healthy. I will not be buying any more junk until I have eaten most of what I have. I always think I will exercise moderation but it isnt in my blood. Even fruits and vegetables, I need to better understand how much I am buying. I can only eat so much in a week.

So, I have just recommitted to eating healthy, well maybe just in moderation for now. ....and being mindful to how much I am buying in groceries.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong.

Esteemed Contributor

I can really tell a difference when I get away from salads, even if one day. Like last week when my DH took a vaca day and we got restaurant cheeseburgers. I rarely eat like that.

Breakfast this a.m. included my usual berries: blues & rasps, but I also had 1/2 apple, along w/ my usual almonds.

Back on track w/ Jethro sized lettuce & chick tender grilled in the George Foreman - my favorite lunch.

Later for supper I'll have a Wegman's lemon bar, and still later, hard cheese for a snack.

Here's to everyone's good health!

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 aprilskies said:

I am recommitting to eating healthy. I will not be buying any more junk until I have eaten most of what I have. I always think I will exercise moderation but it isnt in my blood. Even fruits and vegetables, I need to better understand how much I am buying. I can only eat so much in a week.

So, I have just recommitted to eating healthy, well maybe just in moderation for now. ....and being mindful to how much I am buying in groceries.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong.

I have a real problem with summer eating. The good news is that cooler weather is coming and I anticipate less waste because what's in the fridge can be put into a big pot of soup. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Soup, yum, Just Bee. I was just thinking about making a pot this week even though it is not really cold yet. I do get a cup at work most times with my lunch but would love to have some for home. Sometimes I want something warm and not too heavy.
Honored Contributor

Anyone eating healthy these days? Better-half generally doesn't buy processed/packaged food, but for some reason he picked up a prepared item from Costco. For fun he held it up and asked me how many servings were in the small package. I thought I'd be funny and say ten. It was actually fifteen.

Then he asked me how much sodium was in the package. Almost 9000 mg. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/12/2014 just bee said:

Anyone eating healthy these days? Better-half generally doesn't buy processed/packaged food, but for some reason he picked up a prepared item from Costco. For fun he held it up and asked me how many servings were in the small package. I thought I'd be funny and say ten. It was actually fifteen.

Then he asked me how much sodium was in the package. Almost 9000 mg. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

just bee, so that would be 600 mg of sodium per serving. Is that good or bad?

Other than straying off the beaten path every now & then, I eat & drink healthy every day. Except I grabbed walnuts off the shelf this past week, and when I opened them I realized I grabbed dry roasted! That is absolutely not what I wanted! Next time I won't hurry when making my selection. But I did forget my glasses that shopping trip.

Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 Harpa said:

just bee, so that would be 600 mg of sodium per serving. Is that good or bad?

It depends. The recommended daily intake is 2300 mg total. And if you're "older" or have any issues that require a reduction in sodium, 1500 mg is the limit. But there's always the question: Says who?

Some feel there isn't enough evidence to support these daily requirements. For me, I know I've had too much sodium if I eat out. Restaurants really pile it on.

Honored Contributor

HEPpy Sunday! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Goodness, I did not post at the start of the month? I know I meant to.

How is everyone doing?

I'm plugging right along, doing fine. I live alone & eat very healthy, very simply, and don't get bored eating that way.

I did try something new last night - turkey breast cutlets! I love turkey breats & it was nice to find it sliced and ready to cook up fast. I'm having leftovers tonight & I will definitely look for the cutlets again.

I'm down another size & happy about that but my mind is more interested in the next size down rather than the one I just got into. That may be a problem when I go shopping for smaller jeans. I need to buy at least one pair that fits now. I've got a couple pairs that are a bit loose but still wearable.

I eat very few processed foods and rarely eat out. The way I eat is diuretic in nature and, on top of that, I drink a lot of water, too. Because of that, I stay aware of my electrolytes and use extra sea salt/Himalayan Pink Salt. I don't track my sodium intake but I have read that, for those who eat similar to the way I do, the recommendation is 5000 mg sodium per day. I start craving salt straight from the shaker if I don't get enough.

Esteemed Contributor

The biggest thing I did over summer was quit soda. I started drinking flavored sparkling water called refreshers from Safeway. 79¢. The fizz in it satisfies my soda craving. I also cut out potatoes and eat more brown rice. I have lost over 12 pounds since May and almost at my target weight.