Honored Contributor

Ulta Stores --- Are they good to deal with?

We just got a new Ulta store and I have never been to one before. Wow! This place is awesome. But how are they to deal with?

Can you return items of makeup, etc., if it turns out they are not suitable? I just wondered what the return or exchange process was like.

Do you feel the prices are comparable to other places?

Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Ulta Stores --- Are they good to deal with?

I think the overall experience can differ from store to store when it comes to the helpfulness and knowledge of the sales associates.

I have returned items to my local Ulta. My criteria for returns might differ from yours though. I will return something if it really doesn't do what it says or if I've changed my mind on something before I opened and used it. If I buy a lipstick, for instance, and the color doesn't look good on me, I "eat" it because I was the one who made the selection. I don't think it's fair to make a store pay for our mistakes. JMO

Ulta has some good sales and has their own line of products that are often very good alternatives. If you register/get and Ulta "club" card (not a credit card), they will track your purchases and you will earn points that will accumulate until you're able to use them as a discount.

Respected Contributor

They are very easy to deal with. If I buy something and it does not work out for me, I return it and they could not be nicer about it. We just got an ulta a few months ago and I love it.

Super Contributor

These stores are popping up all over. I have never been impressed with their service. I think the stores need to be better organized and they need folks who are available to assist you "on the floor". I have left without buying, because I couldn't get help. Also, their pricing is just O.K... I did get a great deal on an expensive curling iron last Christmas because I had a coupon. Otherwise, this is not a discount store.

Valued Contributor

Although I dislike my Ulta for many reasons returning is not one of those reasons. I've returned things without any problems but I've always had my receipt so keep that.
Honored Contributor

I like to go to the Ulta store but I find I need to go there knowing what I want. The younger girls (and they all are) don't seem to understand the needs of the over 60 woman and tend to steer me toward their brand. With that said, I do like the store so I just do my research before I go.

Honored Contributor

Been to it only three times in my life although I've always lived within 20 minutes of at least one. I don't know, I just don't like going there. They don't seem very friendly, there is no one to help you on the floor, I returned one item and the girl acted like it was coming out of her paycheck, there are no testers to test out colors of stuff, etc.

I suppose maybe I'd feel different if I liked/used alot of drugstore products because they have a huge selection of those types of things. I don't know, it just isn't a very fun store for me to go to in general and I LOVE makeup.

Super Contributor

I've returned a few things to them with no problems both opened and unopened. I find the help to really be lacking in my local ulta. I went there to get a cleanser. I had a couple in mind and the floor rep was determined to only sell me dermadoctor. She wouldn't even walk away from that area to help me with the other brands. Then she gave me her business cards for a line of supplements that she is a rep for! ...................... The ulta by my office is really good though. The SA are fairly knowledgable and friendly.
Honored Contributor

I agree it differs from store to store. I don't care for my Ulta store. I could be the only one in there, on fire, and STILL couldn't get anyone to help me!

2 weeks ago, went to my sis wedding in Depford, NJ. I left ALL and I mean ALL my makeup at home! Now, I don't even go to the mailbox w/o a full face on, let alone be Maid of Honor and take pics!

I scrambled to this store expecting it to take forever. I had 30 mins to get to the rehearsal.

A very young lady greeted me the minute I walked in. I explained my situation and she darted all over the store as I rattled off exactly what I wanted. IT this, Mally that, BE this...They had everything I needed except one LG item. She made a quick replacement suggestion and I was off. They threw a bunch of GOOD free samples in my bag. Out the door in less than 15 mins! Now that was service!!

Contributor

We have an Ulta about 10 minutes away. The only problem I've encountered is that they are always out of stock on the items I regularly purchase - be it sunscreen, body lotion, or CeraVe facial cleanser. Ulta recently sent me a free birthday gift certificate for full size CK mascara. When I went to redeem, they were out of that as well. I find their prices are pretty much the same as our local drugstore.