Not applicable

What is the best facial acne treatment?

I have a lot of blackheads on my nose, and several highly noticeable acne spots on my face. I have tried many generic brands, as well as Clean & Clear, but nothing seems to be able to work. What, from your own experience, is the best treatment for acne?

Respected Contributor

Re: What is the best facial acne treatment?

It's all individual. Acne is very stubborn and hard to get rid of. Hormones can cause acne and need prescription drugs. See a great derm about this.

Respected Contributor

A derm is the way to go, esp. after all the $$ spent on OTC products that may or may not be effective.

Super Contributor

I know from experience that when looking for acne treatment suggestions online, finding "go to the dermatologist" as a response (multiple times) was very frustrating and unhelpful (that was NOT directed at you, maestra! Just sharing my experience Smiley Happy ). It is true that acne is very unique to the individual and a visit to the dermatologist certainly wouldn't hurt, but I assume that when people ask for acne treatment recommendations, they want something OTC or alternatives to seeing a dermatologist; plus, there's no guarantee that a dermatologist visit will be money well spent, either. I used the acne.org "Regimen" for about 3-4 months and it worked BEAUTIFULLY, but the benzoyl peroxide dried my skin out too much for my liking (the dryness and flaking was supposed to improve after about a month, but mine never did). I have since been trying to find something that works as well without the drying effects, but without success; it simply worked the best for me! I am about to try Dr. Gross's Acne Eliminating Pads and/or Tatcha. Tatcha is very expensive, though, so I worry that I won't be able to keep it up if I fall in love with it. Lastly, people have had success with the Clear line from Paula's Choice, but I have no personal experience with it. It's formatted similarly to acne.org's Regimen (3 steps, one of which is benzoyl peroxide), but their BP contains soothing ingredients that supposedly combats the dryness and flaking associated with using BP. That may be something to look into. If all else fails, take that trip to the dermatologist. My advice to you is to do your research on the treatments you're considering before you make a choice: read reviews, ingredients, etc. to make a smart choice for you and your acne. Also, know that there is no cure for acne, but it can be kept under control. I truly wish you the best of luck! I know what a struggle controlling acne can be!
Frequent Contributor

You can try a dermatologist but since there is no cure for acne, just differing ways to control it, they won't necessarily have the right product for you. It's hit-or-miss, even with the dermatologist. No prescribed treatment ever helped my sons with their acne. They did have some success with the acne.org regimen but as mentioned above, it is very tough on the skin and their acne was never severe enough to warrant it. The best success they have had is with LaRoche Posay Effaclar Duo. It's a combined benzoyl peroxide/BHA treatment that has been very effective. You can purchase at CVS or online. Check out online reviews-they're very favorable.
Valued Contributor

I am 60 and I still have cystic acne from time to time. My dermatologist perescribed Aczone for the acne and it works well. I wash my face with Neutrogena Clear Pore with Benzyl Peroxide. There is a grainy one and a one that can be a mask. Definitely see a dermatologist. One of the earlier threads pointed out that OTC products may not help you and you can spend a lot of $$ on these. As for skin products, I use SkinCeuticals.

Trusted Contributor

For me, Alpha Hydrox. Work up from 8% to 10% gel, souffle, or lotion at night. Salycylic acid (Clean and Clear) during the day under a mineral makeup. Micro dermabrasion cloth is all I use in the shower. Not only cleans out pores, it is also a wrinkle treatment.

Honored Contributor

You have to physically remove the blackheads........they don't come out by themselves. 111111

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Blackheads are a combination of dirt and sebum that hardens and gets stuck in your pores. A good cleansing oil helps to soften that hardened sebum to make it easier to purge. You can get a little manual nose cleansing brush to manually help that along or use an extractor after cleansing, while your face is still warm and the sebum is softened.

For the acne, I just posted in another thread about a product I remembered from years ago. It's called Nature's Cure and comes in a kit packaged specifically for a guy or a girl. There are supplements to take in the AM and PM and a topical treatment product that's made from benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. It worked really well for my sons when they were having some skin issues.

Respected Contributor

The only thing that works for me is Murad. Not the regular acne set though. I use 3 Murad products. There has been so much positive talk about Paula's Choice, so I recently tried it and went back to Murad. I got zits and I haven't had zits for a long time.

Oh, I used to get the painful cycstic kind.

I have to look up the products as I don't remember the exact names. If you are intersted, let me know and I will look them up.

Amazon has the best deal usually.

They are expensive, but they are large sizes and last a few months.