New Contributor

What keeps me shopping for beauty on QVC...

I buy a lot of beauty products on QVC, but occasionally still like to shop brick & mortar to see what's there, see colors close-up, avoid shipping $, etc. This weekend, I went to my local Nordstrom, where I am also a frequent shopper, and had the worst experience at the Philosophy counter. I asked specifically for the Oxygen peel kit, said that was all I needed at this time. She told me I should not just use that peel, but also buy the Vitamin C peel and alternate them, without asking me a single question about my skin. I said no thanks very politely, and that I had used all of the peels but just wanted the one at this time. Do you have a serum? Yes, I do. Which one? .... This went on and on through the whole product line until I almost didn't buy what I came in for! She wasn't even really looking at me or listening to me, just kept going through the line and pushing. I said as politely as I could that I just wanted to purchase the peel and that was it for today, and then she started asking me if I knew about their mascara sale in November - not Philosophy but Nordstrom - and did I want to pre-order? I seriously came this close to complaining to the store, but just ignored her and purchased my item and left. Why would I pre-order mascara for November? Is there some upcoming mascara shortage I'm unaware of?? I just have to say, between the either pushy or non-existent sales people, and unpleasant mall experiences in general, it's easier to shop on-line!! Thanks for listening... Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: What keeps me shopping for beauty on QVC...

LOL---Girl, I am going to come to wherever you are and teach you my "freeze out stare". {#emotions_dlg.glare}

I hear you---my "stare" has been perfected as a result. In their defense, they have to do this to keep their supervisors happy and increase personal commissions. Sometimes, instead of the stare, I say just that. "I know you have to do this because...but honestly, it just makes me want to run without getting what I came for..."

If you ever watch Youtube, Gossmakeup talks about how his sales were so much more than that of other people at the store because he never gave the hard sell.

Honored Contributor

That does sound like a lot of pressure.I guess everyone is competing for our dollars and the upsell is probably required.I just hate to be pressured into additional purchases and I bet a lot of people just cave in so it works for the store.glad you got out of there with exactly what you intended.
Honored Contributor

Yes, they have to do their sales pitch. I say you have to be strong and tough to get old, well, you have to be strong and tough to go shopping at a department store.

Then of course, when you need to ask a question, the person knows nothing!

Esteemed Contributor

And that, folks, is why I won't shop for cosmetics at a department store.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I shop directly from ELF for makeup and Amazon, Drugstore dot com, and frequent CVS every other week or so for all my other skin, body, hair care needs.

Honestly, I can't recall the last time I walked into a department store to buy anything!

Valued Contributor

I can understand why you would not go back to that cosmetic counter, but I would certainly order from Nordstrom.com to get free shipping and returns. I will not pay the high shipping costs at QVC unless it is something not available elsewhere.

Frequent Contributor

I was never so happy in my life as when internet shopping became easy and readily available. Like many of the rest of you, I appreciate the hard working SAs who are merely trying to hold on to their jobs, but that doesn't make it any easier as a customer to withstand the onslaught. My last big time Christmas shopping trip to the mall....probably around 2005, I think......I was spritzed over and over by perfume-spraying snipers, argued with by SAs because I wanted to buy something and they wanted me to buy something bigger and more expensive, and, conversely, steadfastly ignored by other SAs who were chatting to friends. Enough, already!

Amazon, Overstock, HSN and QVC, among others, certainly have their drawbacks, but no one attacks me, ignores me or tells me I don't want what I want. I'm willing, at times, to pay a small premium for the freedom from the hypersell and the ability to do all my shopping in the comfort of my bathrobe and bunny slippers from my recliner in front of the fire place in the family room.

I occasionally do some recreational shopping (I define that as looking not buying) with my DIL. This keeps me current on what is new out in the marketplace and gives me a chance to check fabric, how true a color is, sample a new fragrance that I actually might like, or check some makeup colors. But we do this at non-peak hours and times of year.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the dept store horror story. I've been shopping online for so long I forget about this stuff. My biggest complaint when out shopping is the pressure to sign up for credit cards. I shake my head, no, as they are talking, and if they keep going, I just stare at them in silence. Smiling, as if they are my entertainment for the day. Now, I feel like I want to go to a makeup counter just to have some fun. Lol

Honored Contributor

I see things on the Q I want to try, I buy it on ebay!!!