Respected Contributor

OT- Whats your favorite cold medicine for cough and stuffed nose?

I am on day 3 of a flu turning into a mild cold. what do you take?

Super Contributor

Re: OT- Whats your favorite cold medicine for cough and stuffed nose?

Theraflu always helped me. But it's my understanding it's been discontinued. I've tried other OTC meds and nothing seems to help. It just has to run its course. As for a cough, the only thing that works for me is Pancof. It's by prescription and it has codeine in it. None of the OTC cough meds work for me.
Honored Contributor

For a cold and symptoms I do Nyquil. I can't take the orange for daytime in Nyquil though. It has something in it that makes me feel hyper. Which is a weird sensation for me. I can use the local store brand that does the same work w/o the hyper feeling.

Respected Contributor

I just saw a commercial the other day for Theraflu so it must be back again. I always found it to be very effective for various cold symptoms. For chest congestion I like Boiron Chestal Honey - it comes in other flavors too.

Honored Contributor

Nyquil Daytime/Nighttime for me, store brand is fine also, if I just want to take some OTC meds. But honesty, as gross as it sounds, and kind of is when you have a nose/sinus full of gunk, a Neti Pot really works. You just have to be really careful to do it the right way using distilled, bottled, or boiled & cooled water - no straight tap water.

Frequent Contributor

Remember, if you need a more powerful otc, it is behind the pharmacy counter where you show your license. I had to be reminded of this when my cold kept going and going.

Honored Contributor

Alka Seltzer Plus works for me

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Desertdi said:

Trusted Contributor

On 9/29/2014 lolakimono said:
On 9/29/2014 Desertdi said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

This is my choice, too. Feel better!

Valued Contributor

The last time I had a really bad cold, Dayquil and Nyquil were life savers. The pharmacist actually recommended them when she saw me walking down the colds and flu drug aisle. Nyquil knocked me out for a good night's sleep every night and Dayquil alleviated my symptoms enough so I could keep working daily with a clear head. Neither made me feel jittery at all.