Trusted Contributor

How happy are you really with your skin care line

In tears, cancelled my super sized Favorites AD. Have to admit that the cleanser is nothing special at all. Only tried to like it because Purity is no longer Purity and who knows what other changes are in force or planned. The advanced Firming Pads hurt, sting my eyes, cry for hours after using them it seems. Hydroshield must be person specific because my skin is so dry it feels scorched most of the day, esp in AM. So why the reluctance to D/C ? Because I don't know what to replace it with. Anyone truly, honestly satisfied with their products? Not the celebrity or the smell or feel but with bonafide results?
Honored Contributor

Re: How happy are you really with your skin care line

Sorry, I know it is frustrating trying to find products that work well for you skin and needs. I've tried many different things and most didn't work or irritated my skin. I am now very happy with my products and thrilled with the results. Now I am in maintenance mode. I spent alot of time studying what I believe was ingredients my skin needs for my skin issues and then sought out products that contained those ingredients,and avoided ones I didn't want (that can cause irritation and dryness). It took some work but it seriously paid off for me. None of my products are mainstream, "celebrity" products and most are pretty simple products without alot of complicated, unnecessary fillers and ingredients.

The key to finding products that work well for YOU is to figure out what your skin needs for YOUR issues (e.g. sagging, wrinkles, elasticity, discoloration, age spots, dryness, oiliness, etc..) and then look for products that contain those ingredients that address those issues (often you can find multi-tasker products contain a few of the ingredients you need). Skincare shouldn't be complicated and doesn't have to necessarily be expensive either.

I'd also suggestion slowly incorporating new products into your routine- add or sub one product at a time and wait awhile before switching out or adding another. That way you if you have any irritation or issues, it will be easier to pinpoint which product is the culprit and what is working for you and what isn't.

Trusted Contributor

I don't use one specific brand and never have. I find specific products that I like and design my own "line." For example, I think NCN has some excellent serums so I tend to lean more to them for serum type products. My skin is also dry so I use a variety of brands and types of moisturizers to ensure I am getting adequate hydration. I also add an oil product.

I think Hydroshield is really more effective for those with normal skin over those with very dry. I do occasionally use it but only in combination with other serums also designed to hydrate as Hydroshield alone is just not sufficient for my really dry skin.

It may take longer to put a complete skincare line together but I just have more success doing it on a product by product basis. I've never bought into the thinking that one line successfully meets all my skin's needs. And while I may really like one or two products from a specific brand, there may be little else in that brand that appeals to me.

Honored Contributor

I have to agree with HappyDaze. I finally think I've found the skincare line I like-----but that may change too. I have very dry, sensitive skin, a few lines and wrinkles but due to good genes, not many. I have puffyiness under my eyes but thats been there since I was a kid. I'm 60 too. I have been using a lot of different products for years and not happy with any of them. Loved Serious SkinCares olive oil line but that is gone now. I am using Skinn now (from shophq) and really do like it. One thing that I have done is got the Clarisonic Mia that I use every other night. That has been amazing for my skin. I truly think that because my skin is really clean, the products I use are doing the job and I don't use as much.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear this, very frustrating. I've been dancing around products for years trying to find the ones that I can live with that actually do what they advertise and haven't changed due to selling off the company or trying to save a dollar. (Very upset with Philosophy)....

You may like Peter Thomas Roth. He has a "try me" kit that's very reasonable and about $40. He has an Unwrinkle pad that I think is great and alone is the cost of the kit. Mild but seems to do a good job. He also has a cleanser that I love, smells softly like English Earl Gray Tea, which I love. Also included is his serum, red dragon moisturizer, and eye gel (I think that's it).

I love Oil of Olay's Moisturizer (the one that beat out all the other creams out there, even the expensive Dept store ones...

I've gone around and around with Perricone, Denese, Philosophy, Bare Minerals, Algenist, Strivectin.... etc. etc. etc......

HappyDaze is exactly right, skin care shouldn't be complicated and it doesn't have to be expensive.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Am very happy with my skincare. I use all-natural organic products from Sea Active Skincare.

Valued Contributor

I have been using Forever Spring skincare for about 25 years. (This is a skincare line started by Connie Stevens - she brought it to HSN about 25 years ago but hasn't been on HSN for about 10 years - I buy direct from her company now). I have sampled many other skincare lines over the years but I always go back to/stick to Forever Spring. The facial cleanser is the absolute best I've ever used; my dry skin loves her moisturizer that has shea butter in it and she has a wonderful serum. The only other skincare product I've incorporated over the years is Perlier's Black Rice eye cream but unfortunately they stopped making that eye cream last year.

Respected Contributor

My dry, sensitive skin is loving ASDM Beverly Hills. I saw numerous postings on it and decided to give it a try. I'm 60 and live in a dry climate. I can't believe the difference in my skin in 3 months. It's soft, smooth, & glowing. I've been using the firming cream and lifting serum. My neck looks much better and my jaw area has firmed up. I use the caffeine eye cream and the lines around my eyes have really softened. A little bit goes a long way, so the products really last. My DH even used their sunscreen.

Esteemed Contributor

No, it should not be complicated. What's complicated is that so many are saying you need this and that! What you need should be appropriate for your age group, that's #1 with me, and that, I see, is the biggest fault in the market.

If you are using more than you should, (or making wrong choices) then all you will be doing is compensating with things that you really don't need.

In trying so many different lines & things, what I've discovered is that my skin needs are so simple. I do use a couple different things, no one line, and the less I use, the better. In my age group, my skin is going to function differently than someone in a younger group.

Agree to determine what you need/want in your skincare and go from there. I think everyone would agree to gently cleanse, gently exfoliate, use the skin vitamins A, C & E (in whatever forms your skin can tolerate) and don't get hooked into the latest & greatest. Certain ingredients can do certain things, but there is no need to use every one of them.

Can you please translate...what is D/C?

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the wise advice. I will begin anew, keeping only my. Elite extra strength serum that's won international awards and unsolicited reviews from medical journals. After that is my vit C. 22 %, ferrulic, vit E serum for the same reasons . I would have loved to add isomers All in One but the aloe it contains eliminated that one too. I'll use my dr denese moisturizer, the original formula I found on eBay until I find a better one. You're right about Peter Thomas Roth . Several of his products received " best of best" ratings I love his FirmX and the experts love his retinol. I hate retinol but everything I've read says it's essential. So, tears in eyes , after giving it a break, I'll do as you have, search the literature and start over.