Super Contributor

What are some chores a 9 year old and a 6 1/2 year old can do around the house?

Super Contributor

Why do you want to know, if you don't mind me asking?

Honored Contributor

Shake any small rugs you have, gather the stuff for recycling day, make their beds, set the table, dust, feed any pets, fold up the towels on laundry day; all within reason of course.

Super Contributor

1. Trash Duties

2. Load/unload dishwasher

3. Folding laundry

4. Assist in cleaning garage

5. Sweep garage/porch

6. Put away groceries after shopping

7. Changing their beds (especially the older child)

8. Assist in yard duties

9. Assist with cooking ... SO IMPORTANT!!!

Honored Contributor

We were taught to fold or hang up our own clothes as they came out of the dryer - we each had to clean our own rooms and that included dusting and washing the floor.We also had to wash and dry the dishes every night. Starting at about age 12 I had to start learning to make supper because my Mom worked and did not get home til 6PM and she liked to have supper ready. I think at about 5 or 6 th grade my brothers had to start mowing the lawn, weeding and shoveling snow.

Respected Contributor

Chores my siblings & I had at those ages (I'm now 66 & youngest sib is 49): make own bed & keep room tidy, put dirty clothes in hamper, put toys away, set the table, help clear the table, take out the trash, clean the kitty litter box, feed & water the cat(s), iron flat items like pillowcases & Dad's handkerchiefs, simple "cooking" like making instant pudding & Kool Aid. Helping with the dishes (pre-dishwasher days) came when we were tall enough to reach-no standing on stepstools for safety reasons (we were a a rowdy bunch). Responsibilities increased each year as we got bigger/taller/stronger & better able to do household chores including putting the groceries away, full meal cooking, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Tidy their bedrooms/ make beds

set the table for dinner/ clear plates, etc. to the dishwasher; wipe down counter tops after.

Empty silverware from clean dishwasher

help with unpacking grocery bags; help with dinner prep (measuring, stirring, etc.)

Take out trash and recycling

Feed/water pets

help wash car inside and out

weekly surface cleaning of bathroom.

dust furniture, fold laundry

Basically, they can do anything that they can reach and that does not involve something that is too heavy or needs to be done perfectly. They are a perfect age to help out as they are not yet teens, LOL! They still have some enthusiasm to help out. Obviously, not this entire list all in the same day! It also goes better if you are assisting so they can model your behavior. In addition, when my DSs were just a bit older than your young ones, I always used chores as punishment- never time out, no computer, etc. My fave: pulling weeds! Kept them in line. They are now 20 ans 23. One is neat, the other- well, not so much. They still help around the house as all family members should and I no longer have the need for them to pull weeds.

Honored Contributor
On 9/25/2014 ical said:

Why do you want to know, if you don't mind me asking?

She probably wants to give some chores to her children.

Regular Contributor

Clean up their toys

Clean up their rooms / keep them neat

Pick up their clothers and put them in the laundry

Take out trash

Help with setting the table AND make sure THEY take THEIR dish to the sink

Dust, Vacumn, Sweep............

there's A LOT they can do & help with....... helps you out too BUT more importantly teaches them responsibility / to be responsible AND in taking care of their rooms & toys teaches them respect for their possessions

On Saturday's 1 cleaned the bedroom & the other the Family Room AND we had a bathroom each to clean - we always had to pick up our toys, put dirty clothes in the hamper - evenings 1 washed dishes the other dried