Honored Contributor

O/T Hughes Net satellite for phone service?

I'm putting this here because I know its the most popular board and I really need answers. After putting up with dismal internet service, DSL through our phone company, for 8 years, I signed up for Hughes Net satellite. The also offer phone service in the package, but I'm wondering about giving up landline service since there might be service interruption in a storm, just when we might need a phone the most. She said their signal is stronger than the DirecTV satellite signal, which we do lose during a severe thunderstorm or bad snowstorm. Can someone please tell me their experience with Hughes Net?

Super Contributor

Re: O/T Hughes Net satellite for phone service?

Are you sure it's going to be satellite phone and internet? I work for a major phone company in the DSL dept and we install DSL and phone services for Hughesnet all the time. It's the same lines you get from the phone company. Please ask a lot of questions before signing up. I know they do offer true satellite internet too.
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Hughes Net satellite for phone service?

Its true satellite. They put a dish in the yard and the signal comes into the house wirelessly. It will be 10 Mbps, we only have 2 Mbps now with DSL. Satellite phones seem to work in the most remote areas of the world, and we have to do something special for 911. She went over a lot on the phone, which is a lot to digest. I'm going over more with the installer before I make the final decision. I'll check on Electronics board, too.