Super Contributor

OT - Office 2010 vs. 2013 - I keep emails, Do I Really Need Outlook...How to transfer files old-new computer?

Calling out to all my Techo Wiz Peeps.

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1 (LOVE it...Not that difficult), & I need to purchase Office Professional (Excel/Word etc.), but have been told that the 2013 version vs. 2010 is a nightmare & to get 2010 if possible...need opinions on this please.

I also need to store emails from clients etc., so I've always used Outlook in the past.

I think there's a mail app on 8.1, so can I use that to store, or do I really need to purchase Office with Outlook...thoughts please.

One last question...I need to transfer just the "My Documents" Files from my old XP computer to new 8.1. I used Office 2002, so will they be compatible first of all & second of all, what's the best way to do this?

Thanks so much to everyone in advance for all their thoughts & opinions...All invited to respond (good or bad)!!! LOL{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

Re: OT - Office 2010 vs. 2013 - I keep emails, Do I Really Need Outlook...How to transfer files old-new computer?

I use Mozilla Thunderbird rather than Outlook, and Open Office, a free alternative to MS Office.

When I replaced my XP, I transferred my pictures and documents to the new 8.1 using Windows Explorer. They were both connected to my router, and I was able to transfer wirelessly.

You can check if an old program is compatible with 8.1 at www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home.

Super Contributor

Re: OT - Office 2010 vs. 2013 - I keep emails, Do I Really Need Outlook...How to transfer files old-new computer?

Caffeina, Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with such great info...looks like you're the only one!!! LOL

Anyway, hubby was able to get Office 2013 including Outlook from work for only $9.95 so how could we pass that up?

I have used Open Office & liked something things about it, but not other.

He was also able to borrow a 1 T, hard drive from a co-worker, so moving the files from the old to new computer should be a snap.

Thanks again for your very helpful info!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}