Super Contributor

NARS Limited Edition Cheek Palettes: Which One is Your Favorite?

Hi everyone!

Does anybody here have experience with the NARS cheek palettes?

I'm super, super pale with cool undertones, so blue-based complexion products for fair skin work best on me.

In 2011, they released a palette which people tripped over themselves for, called "Danmari", and, not being into NARS at the time, I missed it and am really ticked that I wasn't paying attention to the brand. This one included a bronzer, highlighter, and four blushes, all of which are only a tad smaller than full size. It seems more to be more suited for a warm medium skin tone, though.

In 2012, they released one at Sephora called "Joie de Vivre," which has absolutely stunning colors for fair skin but is no longer available in stores. I recently found one on eBay for a decent price, but am wondering if I should wait it out before buying. This one included a bronzer, highlighter, and four blushes, all of which are a tad smaller than full size.

Last year, they released a palette called "One Night Stand," which was pretty similar to "Danmari" but has a few darker colors so I doubt it'll work well with my fair skin so I didn't think much of it.

This year, they released a palette called "Domination," which I bought, but I am not very impressed with the amount of each product. The colors are beautiful though. This one includes half of a mini highlighter, a mini bronzer, and two mini blushes.

Here's my question for you: out of all of the palettes I listed above, which is your favorite? Should I hold on to "Domination" or return it and buy "Joie de Vivre" instead? If you are fair skinned, do any of the ones I mentioned seem too dark for you?

TIA! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Re: NARS Limited Edition Cheek Palettes: Which One is Your Favorite?

Now I am really confused. Nars is owned by Shiseido who is not cruelty free. I guess it just bothers me when people say they only buy cruelty free products when it really isn't true. So please, be honest and don't say you only choose cruelty free products when you purchase products on your own since it isn't true. Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 HappyDaze said:

Now I am really confused. Nars is owned by Shiseido who is not cruelty free. I guess it just bothers me when people say they only buy cruelty free products when it really isn't true. So please, be honest and don't say you only choose cruelty free products when you purchase products on your own since it isn't true. Smiley Sad

Fine.

You know what?

Let me rephrase: I will buy cruelty-free when the product works for me, and I really do TRY to find cruelty-free stuff, but other than that, I stick with what I like and what works for me. I have many allergy sensitivities in both my hair and skin so I have to be particular about what I use. If I can find a cruelty-free product that works, great, but if not, I have to keep my health in mind.

Super Contributor

Not hounding but trying to clarify the statements YOU made to me. I am sorry you are uncomfortable explaining your own statements but I get it now so no worries, you can rest assured, no more questions from me.

Sorry if that came across as rude - I really do make an effort to buy cruelty-free, but since I have lots of allergies to things I have to put my physical health and comfort first since I have to live in this skin 24/7.

I have many allergy sensitivities in both my hair and skin so I have to be particular about what I use. NARS is one of the only complexion brands that doesn't wreak havoc on my sinuses with the powder from their products, which is why I stay with them.

What are your favorite cruelty-free brands, if you don't mind me asking? I would love to try and switch to all cruelty-free, but it is a bit of a challenge.

Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 RyBelle said:

Fine.

You know what?

Let me rephrase: I will buy cruelty-free when the product works for me, and I really do TRY to find cruelty-free stuff, but other than that, I stick with what I like and what works for me. I have many allergy sensitivities in both my hair and skin so I have to be particular about what I use. If I can find a cruelty-free product that works, great, but if not, I have to keep my health in mind.

I appreciate you are passionate about this, but I don't appreciate you following my every move around the boards. If you disagree with me, fine, but don't bring it up everywhere I post. It's getting old.

Wow you really changed your initial statement, now including allergies and other such things you never mentioned before.

I don't follow you around- I read the posts on the boards here and in the WEN board. If you are uncomfortable about someone asking you about something you post, perhaps you shouldn't post?

YOU made CONFLICTING statements to me, YOU mentioned you only buy cruelty free TO ME- I NEVER asked you about it until after you told me you only bought cruelty free. I like how you are lashing out at me because I asked you to clarify a statement YOU made to ME on your own.

But it is fine, I am done posting about it, just please don't make it out like I am harassing you about it when YOU brought it up with me.

Sorry if that came across as rude - I really do make an effort to buy cruelty-free, but since I have lots of allergies to things I have to put my physical health and comfort first since I have to live in this skin 24/7. I don't like to mention my allergies because they are pretty gross, at least to me, and I work hard to make sure I don't aggravate them and make them visible to others. So yes, they do make me uncomfortable.

I have many allergy sensitivities in both my hair and skin so I have to be particular about what I use. NARS is one of the only complexion brands that doesn't wreak havoc on my sinuses with the powder from their products, which is why I stay with them.

What are your favorite cruelty-free brands, if you don't mind me asking? I would love to try and switch to all cruelty-free, but it is a bit of a challenge.

I think the reason why I'm so defensive about this is because in my mind and heart, I'd love to be using only cruelty-free, but my body demands otherwise. Does that make sense?

Super Contributor

I sincerely apologize if my statements come off as rude and contradictory - I think the reason why I'm so defensive about this is because, in my mind and heart, I'd love to be using only cruelty-free, but my body demands otherwise. Does that make sense?

I didn't mention my allergies at first because they are pretty severe when aggravated, and they aren't pretty, which, when you're talking about beauty products, is the last thing you want to admit on a public board. So yes, talking about them makes me uncomfortable.

I really do make an effort to buy cruelty-free, but since I have lots of allergies to things, I have to put my physical health and comfort first since I have to live in this skin 24/7.

I have many allergy sensitivities to products for both the skin and hair, so I have to be particular about what I use. NARS, as far as face stuff, is one of the only complexion brands that doesn't wreak havoc on my sinuses with the powder from their products, which is why I stay them. Bumble and Bumble doesn't aggravate my scalp which is why I stick with them. When my skin and hair aren't irritated, they're pretty much perfect. When they do get irritated, however, it often takes me quite a while to recover.

I really would like to try and switch to all cruelty-free though, and I don't mind a bit of trial and error, but it is a bit of a challenge. So, what are your favorite cruelty-free brands?

Honored Contributor

I'm confused, too. I think you've said that it's not only Cruelty Free that matters to you, but also that you won't buy from a company that uses animal derived product ingredients, right? Just wondering how you justify buying Missha Perfect Cover then since they sell products with snail filtrate. The collection process involves shaking/stressing the snails so they produce more of the "slime" so not only is it stressing the snails, it's very possible that some snails may die in the collection process. Perhaps it's none of my business, but I have to admit I've scratched my head a time or two about this because you've been a strong voice on this board regarding the animal testing and animal derived products and against certain companies that employ either one or both.