Contributor

Question On Thinning Eyebrows

I know when you get older your eyebrows thin. When this happens is it a gradual process or does it come on rather quickly? Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Question On Thinning Eyebrows

I think it's gradual, but I had overplucked as a teenager.

Regular Contributor

Hi

In my case it was gradual. One day I took a look and wow, where did my brows go, lol!. First the tails thinned, then the brows, and finally the grays came one by one. BTW, I am 67 and this only happened in the past two years and was a slow process. A word of caution....don't be to fast to pull the gray hairs since they may not come back! You didn't mention how old you are but I wouldn't worry about it.....a good brow product really helps. I love the Anastasia line of products.

HTH!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I believe it is casual.

I lost my eyebrows when I was 20 yrs old. I will never ever recommend using Nair to give a nicer shape to eyebrows. My eyebrows never grew back.

I found MAC has the best eye brow pencils around. MAC pencils give me the color match.

Frequent Contributor

Another reason for thinning brows, regardless of age is a potential thyroid problem. Especially when the eyebrow tails start to disappear. Please get your thyroid checked just to make sure. Also, use Rapid Lash for your brows instead of eye lashes and your brows may improve.

Respected Contributor

Chiming in, gradually---there are fewer hairs in the brows. Other hairy areas get less, too (we'll be discreet here, but you know what I mean.)

I have always had very thick brows and now I have to use pencil to fill in. But they still were so wild and thick that my manicure gal offered to do them and what a great job she did. She removed a LOT and it really makes you look younger (opens up the eyes.) I'm still filling in the brow centers and "line" with IT pencil but the overall look is groomed.

As to thyroid thinning, very true. But that tends to start from the ends and work inwards.

Honored Contributor

It's gradual. I'm 57 and more recently I've noticed that "eyebrow care" is less and less. Don't get me wrong, I still have decent brows and still get those occasional long wiry hairs that sprout and grow a half an inch overnight. I pluck those as needed, but I can go a very long time now between brow waxes.

Honored Contributor

I lost most of my eyebrows and eyelashes after a major surgery in 1972 so I've gone a looooong time without both. I use a very fine eyebrow pencil and eyeliner to help.

Esteemed Contributor

A gradual process (is there an echo in here?). I went from thick bushy eyebrows that had to be tweezed every other day to maybe 15 hairs on each brow. And those hairs are straight and gray and grow an inch a day -- well, it seems like they do. It's a constant battle.

Also changes in my eyelashes. They used to be thick and long - now they're sparse and short. I'm 65 and these changes have happened since I turned 60.

All the hairs that used to be in my eyebrows and eyelashes are now growing on my chin. Everything's going south. Just a gentle warning for you, xstitch.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

On 9/21/2014 SrFitness said:

Another reason for thinning brows, regardless of age is a potential thyroid problem. Especially when the eyebrow tails start to disappear. Please get your thyroid checked just to make sure. Also, use Rapid Lash for your brows instead of eye lashes and your brows may improve.

This.

When I noticed my BF eyebrows started to lose their tails I made her go get a FULL thyroid panel not a TSH and sure enough......

She is now on meds, her levels have improved and her eyebrows have returned.