Super Contributor

Need recommendation of shampoo for extremely oily hair

My daughter is turning 30 and has tried many different poos and asked me to go to the beauty boards!!! She washes her hair in AM and by evening it is oily. Anyone experience this?
Respected Contributor

Re: Need recommendation of shampoo for extremely oily hair

Good luck. I have that problem too .. mainly very oil scalp. Try PROTEIN shampoo. Anything with a lot of Panthenol should dry up the oil.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Yes, when I had a short pixie. I DO NOT use conditioner when I use shampoo. I've always used shampoo for oily hair types, but nothing stops the production.

I know that Sally's has some really great shampoos in a wide variety. I use Ion Color Defense Clarifying shampoo during the summer to keep the extra oil at bay and don't use a conditioner. Most clarifying shampoos will do that very well. I also color my super fine, super thick hair, so I also use shampoo for fine hair to keep the buildup from the shampoo and hair products from weighing it down. Go to a Sallys and find their ION brand. There are two different types of clarifying shampoo and a swimmers shampoo and a shampoo for hard water. They also have trial packets so you can try and see if you like before you buy. Start there.

Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 rina33 said:

Good luck. I have that problem too .. mainly very oil scalp. Try PROTEIN shampoo. Anything with a lot of Panthenol should dry up the oil.

The other thing she can do is mix BAKING SODA into the shampoo and apply it to her scalp. Trust me -- it works! LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 tigriss said:

Yes, when I had a short pixie. I DO NOT use conditioner when I use shampoo. I've always used shampoo for oily hair types, but nothing stops the production.

I know that Sally's has some really great shampoos in a wide variety. I use Ion Color Defense Clarifying shampoo during the summer to keep the extra oil at bay and don't use a conditioner. Most clarifying shampoos will do that very well. I also color my super fine, super thick hair, so I also use shampoo for fine hair to keep the buildup from the shampoo and hair products from weighing it down. Go to a Sallys and find their ION brand. There are two different types of clarifying shampoo and a swimmers shampoo and a shampoo for hard water. They also have trial packets so you can try and see if you like before you buy. Start there.

Oh yes! Almost forgot! Clarifying shampoos also work.

Trusted Contributor

I have oily hair (but not as oily as your daughter's) and have been using Aveda Clove Shampoo. With it I don't have to shampoo every day as I once did, but can go 2-3 days now. When I have tried to go back and use a creamy type shampoo it became oily much faster. While this shampoo is fairly expensive, the large bottle lasts me a LONG time.

I only use conditioner on the bottom half or so of my hair and never on the scalp.

Also, perhaps the ph of her scalp is off. She might try to mix about 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar (apple cider or white) with some cool water as a final rinse. I do this occasionally and it makes my hair shinier.

Honored Contributor

I was also going to say Sally Beauty Ion Clarifying shampoo. I use it every once in a while when my scalp gets to oily. I also use it to clean out all the buildup before I color my hair. It's good for oily scalp without drying it out. The 12 oz size is $6+ & if she likes it they have a huge 33 oz size for $12+.

Respected Contributor

Baking soda works as well along with a bit of vinegar to clarify the hair shaft. It is part of the original no-poo movement.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes a mud/ hair type pack helps. The baking soda recommendations are very good. Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar can help. The problem with oily scalp is if you use too astringent of a treatment or shampoo, the scalp is tricked, and wants to protect itself by producing more oil. She could be stimulating the oil glands by shampooing too much. It is sort of a self protecting mode thing. An idea is when she has a few days to herself, do not wash the hair. Then try a light clarifying shampoo, or baking soda.. After a couple weeks of washing less, the oil problem may clear up to almost normal levels.

Oily scalp is due to over active sebaceous glands in the scalp. It is due to many reasons, hair thickness and mass, heredity ,hair products, medications, hormones, diet. One big cause is humid weather and fine hair! My granddaughter suffers from the fine hair, humid weather thing. She has found Aveda shampoo works so well. I am not sure which one it is, but it is for fine hair, oily scalp

Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Cheezit said: My daughter is turning 30 and has tried many different poos and asked me to go to the beauty boards!!! She washes her hair in AM and by evening it is oily. Anyone experience this?

Hello, Cheezit. Smile

Maybe your daughter could try Nick Chavez Traditions Yucca Root shampoo and conditioner. I use it and it makes my hair and scalp feel very clean. Then, I finish with Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Serum. That makes my hair soft, but not oily or greasy and it doesn't leave a build-up. Another tip, it's not a good idea to wash the hair everyday. Hope your daughter finds something that works for her.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder