Frequent Contributor

T. I. P s or Perfect Gel Coat

I cannot and never have been able to grow my nails. I have tried vitamins and cuticle oil but nothing. They are dry, brittle and peel. The cuticles are always dry. Which of the two would you recommend? Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

Re: T. I. P s or Perfect Gel Coat

If you read the reviews of both products you will get an idea of which might be good for you. I love the T.I.P.S. I saw a difference with this product. My nails are very strong, but they peel and crack on the sides. Since I started using the T.I.P.S this stopped almost immediately. My nails are also thicker and look healthy. You have to follow the directions exactly. As soon as I get up in the morning I use the T.I.P.S and let it soak in for a few minutes. I always wear nail polish and this does not seem to affect the product, although for the first 2 weeks I did not wear polish. I will not be without this product. I wish they would make a basecoat.

Frequent Contributor

I did read the reviews and it was still hard to know which one. It seems that it is just the luck of the draw as to which one will work best. I was hoping to get it right the first time so that I didn't have to send it back. Thanks for your response.

Trusted Contributor

I've been using T.I.P.S. since they were on HSN. Great product; just kinda greasy so watch where you touch things.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Frequent Contributor

I've been using Perfect Formula Gel Coat and it has really worked out for me. I use it as a base coat, followed by two coats of color (I usually use China Glaze nail polish), then end with Deborah Lippmann Addicted to Speed Topcoat. I have been using Deborah Lippmann polish remover and I think that has also helped my nails a lot. It gets the polish off but it's really gentle. The downside is that it is expensive, but I've decided it's worth it. Anyway, my nails used to be dry, peeling and I couldn't grow them and now they are growing nicely and no more peeling. They are so much stronger than they used to be. (I tried T.I.P.S. a few years ago but for some reason it didn't seem to help my nails, although obviously it helps other people.) I would recommend trying Perfect Formula. If it doesn't help, I think you would be justified in returning it before 30 days and exchanging it for T.I.P.S. Anyway, good luck with your nails, Kimberly. I'm sure you will find something that works well and then you will have gorgeous nails to show off!

Occasional Contributor

I think of the T.I.P.S. as a treatment for the nails and cuticles. (Like a serum for your face) I have abused my nails and cuticles forever as a nail biter. When I use T.I.P.S. regularly, my nails don't peel, they don't break easily, and my cuticles look great. So, I use this product whether I am painting my nails or not. I like the Perfect Gel products if I want a shine or a base coat on my nails.

Honored Contributor

You can try CND Solar Oil for a lot less money than TIPS.

Regular Contributor

I have tried both products. The T.I.P.S really helped my cuticles, but, did nothing for my nails. The Perfect Gel did help some at first, but then my nails started breaking and was not in good shape. I then discovered Nailtiques Formulas 2 Plus from here on the board. I cannot Praise this product enough and what it has done for my nails. I have been using it for about 4 months now. The first week I could tell a difference. I used it everyday for a solid 2 - 3 weeks. I now have to cut my nails down once a week when I do a polish change! I only use 1 coat a week when I do my polish change. Of course what works for one may not work for another. I buy mine at Wal-greens for $9.99. I will never be without this. Good Luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/19/2014 KimberlyD said:

I did read the reviews and it was still hard to know which one. It seems that it is just the luck of the draw as to which one will work best. I was hoping to get it right the first time so that I didn't have to send it back. Thanks for your response.

Trying to get it right the first time based on the results of others is probably not the right mindset. The factors which make us different, and cause nail challenges, are what makes one product work well for some and be awful for others.

My nails have been weak and in such a state all of my life that I had could never wear nail polish. I have tried T.I.P.S., Perfect Formula, Prostrong (no longer sold by QVC), and Solar Oil (mentioned in the responses). I was not impressed with T.I.P.S. and Solar Oil. The only result from both was softer cuticles. The Prostrong helped with the strengthening, but I still could not wear polish. The only product I've ever use which made my nail beds healthy enough for nail polish is Perfect Formula. I don't think my nails will ever grow long, but they are stronger now and the Perfect Formula has greatly helped with peeling.

Esteemed Contributor

Perfect formula is the best for me. I had used t.i.p.s. For several years and although my nails would grow they would break in a very short time could never have ten good nails at any time.. Perfect formula has done wonders for my nails , it is the only product that has given me ten good nails at the same time. My nails are difficult because I have an auto immune disease so I was so happy I found something that actually helped. You need to follow directions exactly.