Contributor

Flying with beauty products question

I have read everything on the tsa website, so let me get this right, I can only bring 1 quart bag with small ( I forgot how many ounces tsa said ) beauty items? I have always put them in my checked baggage but now I am only taking a carry on. I did purchase a tsa approved small plastic containers so I can put my shampoo and conditioner face cleanser and toner in. So can I bring like my face lotion in its regular bottle and eye cream in its regular container ? And it also said I had to take this out of my luggage and put in the bin ? I have never seen anyone do this, I just see electronics put in the bins.

I hope I haven't confused everyone, and I know there was a topic about flying but I cant find the thread. I just don't want to pack stuff and have them stop me and throw it away because I cant take it. And would I be able to bring my epilator also?

Thank you for your time and responses.

Pam

Valued Contributor

Re: Flying with beauty products question

3oz max container size. Qt ziplock needs to be put into bin with shoes etc. at security. Epilator can stay in suitcase.

Respected Contributor

According to TSA, liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes all need to be in the 3 oz containers in a quart sized ziplock bag. So that includes your face and eye creams. When I flew last month my quart sized bag was packed full of tiny containers.

Respected Contributor

You can buy a fillable kit that has various 1 oz bottles and jars and even a sprayer. Of course, you can't take more than THREE of them (anyone hate this rule? Anyone think it is not designed well for women? Sigh.) TSA loves these--I've gotten friendly remarks on the ease of looking at the bag for screening.

Trusted Contributor

skipam, it's a pain! Yes, nothing larger than 3oz and all of those little containers must fit inside the quart size ziploc. When you go through the security check you must take that ziploc out of your carryon and place it in the bin so it goes through the scanner. Put your shoes in the bin too. Also put electronics in a bin and if they are larger (like a laptop) use a second bin. I don't think the epilator counts as electronic.

I've learned to leave most of my jewelry in my carryon bag too so it doesn't set off the metal detectors. You don't want to set off that metal detector if you can help it. Once you do that they will have to use the wand to scan you. My sister, who flies all the time, was pulled into a room to be searched. She forgot her cell phone in her jeans pocket and they strip-searched her!!! This happened May 2014 so not long ago.

I'm flying tonight so packing right now too!! Be safe Smiley Wink

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

Yes to all of the above! You're allowed to take one quart size Ziplock bag full of liquids, creams, gels, etc. Each container within that bag must be 100 ml or less (which is 3.4 ounces). If you're like me, only take liquids/creams/gels that you must have and that can't be replaced by another, solid product. For instance, I travel with bar soap instead of body wash and I take a powder or mineral foundation instead of a liquid or BB cream. I also keep my "solid" cosmetics and toiletries in a separate Ziplock bag, instead of a cosmetic bag. There's no reason to pull that bag out and place in a separate bin for scanning, but I make sure it's easily accessible in my bag.

Also, keep in mind that "technically", all liquids and creams are supposed to be in that single quart bag. I saw another traveler get very upset when TSA confiscated a tube of hand cream that she had in her purse, she was not a happy camper. I used to wear contacts, so I kept an additional ziplock in my handbag, with a small bottle of solution, contact case, and eye drops. I would also put a small tube of hand cream and my few lip balms in that baggie and place outside of my purse in the bin for scanning. I was never told that it wasn't allowed, I think the agents appreciate being able to "see" things, helps make their job easier.

Contributor

Thank you all for your replies, I once was stopped and wanded and patted down, not sure why other than they told me my earrings was lighting up the place lol I wear 7 very small hoops, I wear elastic pants, ahh bras, and compression socks when I travel so have no idea why I got patted down but they let me through.

I am greatfull for all the security and all, but as a woman I need more than 1 quart bag lol If I was traveling with someone and they didn't need to use their allotted bag I would definitely use their space lol

KJPA safe travels!

Thank you all

Pam