Valued Contributor

Is there anything I can do about it? I'm 65 and my skin has gotten so thin. I take care of myself, am healthy, but my skin has gotten so thin in my face, arms, hands. My hands look like 100 yr old hands. Its soooo disturbing to me.

Super Contributor
Are you on any type of steroid medication? These can thin the skin.
Trusted Contributor
I don't know of anything for sure, but vitamins a and e are good to take for your skin and collagen, and constantly moisturizing will help you skin feel more plump. I know that my skin looks and feels more creepy when it is dry, so I just keep moisturizing...all day, using moisturizers on my hands. It can't hurt.
Super Contributor

Ceci, I'm having the same problem. I now have a spot on each arm where I bumped into something and have bleeding under my skin. The skin on my hands was so thin could see each blood vessel.

A couple of things I've started doing that has helped a lot - drinking a lot more water and using a high quality extra moisturizing shower crème and lotion. The water is probably the most important - I ended up in the ER with dehydration after an illness. The dr. told me not just water but electrolytes - I drink a bottle of the low sugar Gator Ade every day. My skin has plumped up and I don't have the skin tears like I was.

Valued Contributor

I started having that easy bleeding thing on my arms! My hands and arms look ok but any scratch and I can bleed. I researched online and found several mentions of Avalon CoQ10 lotion. It was about $10 on amazon and had good reviews, with mention of helping thinning skin. So far I am pleased!

Honored Contributor

I've found Skinn Cosmetics Hand Restore from SHQ has help restore the elasticity in the skin on the backs of my hands. Also fades age spots.

I was complaining about the thin, easily bruised skin on my arms to my doctor. She picked up the phone and called a doctor in the geriatrics department at the University of NM. This person told her that the condition could only be improved by regular use of an estrogen cream. This stuff is expensive and I didn't want to use estrogen due to its possible contribution to breast cancer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Try taking Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil caps daily. Contains Omega 7 oil, excellent for the skin and tissues from the inside out. Do some resesrch on it. I take 4 a day.

Valued Contributor

Thanks. I know its age related and I'm Irish and have very pale skin. I don't take any meds and am healthy. I've noticed the last couple of years my skin seems paper thin. I cut easily (it doesn't take much) and like Okiebug said, I can see all my veins. My hands look so boney and there's no fat under my skin on hands and arms.

I am thin, but I find these changes creepy. I use so many moisturizers and use Jose Maran sunblock with Argon on my face and hands. I use argon oil on my arms. My face seems better, probably because I use expensive serums and moisturizers on it.

I just don't like how my hands, arms and neck look. I read that the Omegas can thin blood and create more bruising and bleeding. My husband takes blood thinners and was told that he should not take Omega Oil. So I don't want to take a chance. I do drink bottled water with electrolytes but maybe I need to drink more. I'll check in to the Skinn Hand Restore and try CoQ10 (which I do use on my face).

Thanks for the good advice.

Frequent Contributor

Have you had your thyroid checked? I know this will sound weird but our dog (a chihuahua) started getting very very thiin skin and we assumed it was a side effect from him being diabetic, the vet check ed his thyroid and here that is what it was hypothyroidism. He has been on meds for about 3 weeks and already starting to notice a difference

Super Contributor

Lol! I thought this thread was about some people on this board!