Super Contributor

Using only "best" products from Paula's Choice?

Good Evening Beauties!

I am currently on the mend from trying a sample of DHC Cleansing Oil. My face broke out in a new and unusually cruel way. Hmmphh.

On the search for some gentle loving, I was just curious...

I know Paula's ratings are geared toward those which do not contain an abundant number of irritants and unnecessary additions. My question is, are there any of you who only use products which she deemed "best", regardless of price range (and no I am not talking about only her products, which she sells)? If so, how is your skin fairing?

My face is soo angry right now.----> {#emotions_dlg.blushing} Me, except, not so cute.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Using only ""best"" products from Paula's Choice?

In general I use only the best of best from Paula's Choice. Dr Demese's retinol, PTR , Mally etc. But- I have some problems with Paula. I read both editions of her Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter without Me. Se hated toners then, remember? She said the only reason the companies need toners is that their cleansers don't clean thoroughly. Since Purity made smile I'm convinced she's right. So what does she do, she makes everything she said we didn't need in her own line.

I read WebMD regularly and follow their recommendations too. That's where I read how important the new peptides and hormones and growth stimulators are. They are the principal proponents of vitamin c at at least 20% with ferrulic acid and vitamin E. And they will let you know if vitamin E is something you should avoid given your sensitivities.

Eye emollients ARE different. My serum DelogoRx is awesome, Elite serum has won so many awards it has its own web site, apart from SkinPro. Dr. D"s NEW eye gell cream is absolutely fabulous. I could name more but there are reasons the eye area needs separate potions. I'm allergic to aloe and a whole host of preservatives used on the face and would suffer endless tearing and runny nose if I put them anywhere near my eyes.

She' s way behind the times, the new serums detail their peptides and human growth factor and telomere and stem cells and she hasn't even heard of them. I encourage you to visit the Elite Serum Extra Strength site just to see the great descriptions and illustrations of the new agents, snap, matrixyl, eyeseryl , argereline etc. She thinks P T Roth puts too much peptide in he's serum but loves his retinol? She hasn't even heard of TATCHA....... She hates Adrienne across the board even though she was the first to develop a time released retinol, sterile capsules to deliver vitamin c , the first to market argan oil. Her new argan oil baobab stick is incredible - soothes sore eyelids like nothing else, she's made argan preparations for eyes, face, neck, body, hair for years, way before the days of Jose. Paula has always hated her and detracts from her advances while praising the common, lesser quality Jose line. I buy purified, filtered, odorless argan oil and shea butter from Amazon.com at far better prices. She hates Perricone but so do I . I can't slam all of his products just because I don't like whatshername.

In the end, if you check Paula's line, the one that's been sold out for months, you'll find the very ingredients and products she warned us against using years ago.

If you are sensitive I would try browsing Amazon. They carry just about everything but they don't censor their reviewers and you can read the ingredients and read about the customers' reactions to them. In addition to allergies, I have eczema and have to be really discriminating. Try SkinPro- the scientific evidence that directs their product contents is impressive.

I do believe the principles in Paula's book are excellent guides. She just sold out , just like everybody else when there was profit involved.

Trusted Contributor

ps. There's a line M Asam that has multiple forms of hyaluronic acid designed and proven to penetrate to a greater degree and wider distribution than pure hyaluronic acid . The serum and cream, really a gel, are extremely soothing. If you are wary of a new brand try pure hyaluronic acid or the vitamin c, hyaluronic acid serums available from many many vendors on Amazoncom. CeraVe is the award winning moisturizer gain this year and is recommended for patients with eczema like me, and it soothes and heals.

I wish you luck. I searched for months before I found the right combination for me. the medical websites proved of most value to me. You can try them too.

Honored Contributor

I think using only Paula's ""Best"" products would be an excellent way to go. I've found her reviews to be extremely helpful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I think Paula's reviews are a good source but I would never rely on them as my only recommendation. She gives excellent info on irritants and sensitizing ingredients, which is very helpful. But on the other hand she always recommends products loaded with silicones, which can be a problem for many people. Of the products she rates Best, I've liked some but others have been really bad. She has also slammed products that I love and have used for years. To put it simply, I would use her objective info on ingredients and studies, but I wouldn't rely on her opinions on products....that's too subjective.
Super Contributor

This is only my opinion. I don't think following an "expert's" advice for all products is the way to go. At least that has been my experience. Just use her recommendations as a guideline.

Recently, I started using a highly recommended oil based cleanser (not DHC). I loved the way it felt and thought I had a winner. After a week, my pores became clogged. I didn't break out- it was more like tiny whiteheads forming. I was surprised, based on all the positive reviews I read. Turns out, it just didn't work for me. I too, had been searching for something gentler (and less expensive). I went back to PTR cleansing gel and I'm back to normal.

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 pinkberry said: I think Paula's reviews are a good source but I would never rely on them as my only recommendation. She gives excellent info on irritants and sensitizing ingredients, which is very helpful. But on the other hand she always recommends products loaded with silicones, which can be a problem for many people. Of the products she rates Best, I've liked some but others have been really bad. She has also slammed products that I love and have used for years. To put it simply, I would use her objective info on ingredients and studies, but I wouldn't rely on her opinions on products....that's too subjective.

ITA

Valued Contributor

I don't always buy her ""best"" but the site has helped me greatly to not fall for the ""hype"" from some of the vendors. The products sound so good until you read the reviews and I just have an alternate source for an opinion.

Super Contributor

I love PC products and I do use her as a guide. She does give some good advice. However I use some products that she doesn't highly rate, but they work for me. Performance is what matters most to me.

Honored Contributor

There is no one size fits all in cosmetics. We are individuals. If 99% of people do well with a product, it has better odds, but it still might not be for you. I go by trial and error. I'm a big believer in discovery kits before you make huge investments.