Regular Contributor

chi smart volumizing style iron or the calista tools perfecter

can't make up my mind what to get i very short flat hair i need something to make it look full do i get the calista perfecter brush or the chi smart volumizing style iron. what would be better for flat baby fine hair

Regular Contributor

Re: chi smart volumizing style iron or the calista tools perfecter

does anyone have any suggestions

Respected Contributor

ONe is a flat iron and one isn't. Which will you use more, to flatten or curl/volume. Watch the presentations on both and then see if you need what it has to offer. I use both and a hair dryer one different mornings depending upon how I feel. The Perfecter is very difficult to burn yourself, so if you have coordination problems, then it is good for you. I watched the Chi demo and it is good. I have a Coriolis from the other channel, the Corioliss Classic Black Titanium Iron with Pouch. They both are similar but the Chi is digital temp readout, while this one is a dial. It also seems smaller, so for small hands it would work well but the Coriolis is a bit heftier in size, so for hand dexterity issues it would be better. I do know that with the Perfecter original the handle was thin and harder to get full control of, but the new one has a handle much like the Prestige on the other channel or Target. The new handle fixes that problem. I also like having options with my tools. Today I used some john Frieda root booster foam on dry hair and blew it dry then went in with some Nick Chavez flocker for a bit of volume knowing that the humidity would knock any curls out on my super fine hair. It lasted all day. With curl I do have to use the other two products above and spray each before I curl with the Prefecter or flat iron. The trick with curling brushes is not to roll your hair like you would with a curling iron. If you do, it will get stuck. I also roll it all the way, but make sure I keep tension on it and unroll with tension for more of a barrel curl. As I approach the end while unrolling I twirl to make sure the ends are curled under.

If you can only get one, do the Chi. The payment is good so you won't be out much if you decide you don't like it in 30 days and it straightens and curls. But if you want ease of use without so much straightening go for the Perfector.

Regular Contributor

thank you soo much for all that information and the picture im gonna get both there both on easy pay and see which one works best and if i like both im gonna keep them or return one that doesn't work.

my hair is super flat and short i need to do something with it.

Regular Contributor

Respected Contributor

Please report back on the Chi. I might pick up one of those as well.

Frequent Contributor

I've also been wondering about the Calista perfecter. I own a Chi smart, which I love and have been using for 3 years now. It's great for both straightening and curling, but my hair is very long so I don't get much volume with it. I'm thinking about trying Nick Chavez flocker. It looks really impressive on TV.

I used the Corioliss straightener for years (6-7) before I tried the Chi, and I have to say I prefer the Chi by far. And that's a big deal, since I was die hard Corioliss. I find that the Chi glides through my hair more easily and leaves it feeling and looking less damaged.

Respected Contributor

My Corioliss is a titanium so it glides perfectly, but so is the Chi. When I got mine there weren't many titanium plates on the market. Thanks for the recommendation.

I did read that the new Chi Smart is rubberized and can pull strands of hair. Is your's this way?

Frequent Contributor

I was just cleaning out my drawers the other day and found a Corioliss. I kept two - one at home and one at work. You are right, Tigriss, the plates were not titanium, so I am sure what you have is much better.

I also have 2 versions of the Chi, the one I keep at work is the rubberized one (pink giraffe print) and I do not like it as much as my ceramic one (pink leopard print). It does pull, which is why I keep that one at work.

I am sure there isn't much of a difference between the corioliss and chi, both having titanium plates.

Honored Contributor

Is there a chi with teeth in it? I have very fine, thin, stick straight hair that won't do anything without a ton of product first, but think I need something with teeth to help hold it in place as I try to curl it.