Regular Contributor

Have questions about volumizing shampoo

I have flat fine hair and was gonna buy some volumizing shampoo but a friend told me that

volumizing shampoo is very drying to the hair i already have dry hair from color treated products so if someone can please tell me if thats true it would save me a lot of money. thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Have questions about volumizing shampoo

I have dry hair and I use Living Proof volumnizing shampoo and it doesn't dry out my hair. My hair is also very fine and this shampoo gives me lots of volume.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 banjo said:

I have dry hair and I use Living Proof volumnizing shampoo and it doesn't dry out my hair. My hair is also very fine and this shampoo gives me lots of volume.

ITA! Living Proof! : )

Valued Contributor

there are some volumizing shampoos that dry out the hair (I think the pureology one does) and there are some that absolutely do not. For example the alterna TSV today did the exact opposite on me--it weighed my hair down and made it greasy.

I find that it is really hard to find a good volumizer in general (poo, cond or styling product) because the ones that really actually give volume DO tend to dry out and rough up the texture of the hair which I feel is unhealthy for my hair...but the ones that provide moisture and shine really do not volumize at all. at least on my hair.

If anyone has any holy grail volumizing products, I'd love to hear about them!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Use a volumizing shampoo that's for colored/highlighted hair and/or doesn't have sulfates.

Respected Contributor

Nick Chavez has a product called Advanced Plump N' Thick Thickening shampoo and conditioner. Both the conditioner and shampoo and are sulfate-free and paraben-free, and the description for the shampoo says that it's safe for colored and chemically treated hair.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

Wondering if anyone else has found that the volumizing shampoos do seem to work - until you put the accompanying conditioner on!

I can feel the increased thickness after using the shampoo, even while the hair is still wet in the shower. Then, after using conditioner, it seems to go away.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

Hyacinth, I MUST use colonizing products-and I tend to use what my stylist suggests, but he is not one to commit to a line and carry it for years. That being said-and it's no guarantee it will work for everybody, but I am finding that Matrix volumizing mousse works wonders but I apply it AFTER the conditioner.( I am using a leave in by Redkin). Once a week I use a mask that is specifically used for color treated hair by Biolage. It's not heavy at all and you only need to leave it in five minutes before you rinse. After that, I apply the Matrix mousse: if I don't use it, styling my hair is useless. BTW, with this mousse, I can let my hair air dry, then I style it with the Perfector. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

Good grief;-) Kindle did it again: I must use volumizing products Poodlepet
Super Contributor

My experience is that volumizing can be drying if used every day. I use a volumizing shampoo on days I really want a good hair day.

I use moisturizing shampoo the rest of the time, either Suave Moroccan Oil Shampoo, or Wen Lavendar, or something along those lines.

I also use a hair mask once a week by LUSH called H'suan Wen, it smells amazing, and has made a real difference in my dry fine hair.