Valued Contributor

OT/CT or Virtual Colonoscopy

I have to get a colonoscopy. I have heard about a CT colonoscopy and I'm wondering if anyone has had one done? The CT is done via an "xray" type method compared to the sedation. Also any colonoscopy prep times would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!

Valued Contributor

Re: OT/CT or Virtual Colonoscopy

I have no experience to help you but just wanted to commiserate. My first colonoscopy (traditional) is in 2 weeks - eek!

Esteemed Contributor

The only kind I've actually had was the sedation one, but I have read that the one done with a scan also requires the same prep, no solid food the day the day and night before or the morning of the procedure, and you have to drink some "stuff"--a LOT of it. That's the WORST part, in my opinion. The actual procedure was a breeze compared to the prep. And I'm overdue for one now....I KNOW I need to go ahead and get it done...{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Frequent Contributor

I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago and am due for another : tho it's difficult drinking the 3 large amounts of solution you have to drink spaced apart it's not the worst; like ocean water but not the worst.....and I also recommend eating light that day before the colonoscopy so you don't have to be up so much at night using the bathroom . I got thru the drinking, wasn't forever in the bathroom and it went fine Smiley Happy hope this helps
Super Contributor

You still have to prep.

Super Contributor

I would rather have the traditional because if they find a polyp, they can remove it right then.

moongirl

Honored Contributor

I'm unaware of the CT type, but had my first traditional colonoscopy last November. They did knock me out for it (the Michael Jackson drug), and the whole procedure was over with in like 10-15 minutes. When you have it done this way, you will be groggy afterward so you need to have a driver. There was no pain afterward at all.

As for the prep...well, there's no way around it. You have to do it, and it can be brutal. But, when you think about it, it's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things and colonoscopies are so important. I had to drink a special concoction ordered at the pharmacy, plus water. I'm pretty sure I started the mid afternoon, maybe a little later, of the preceding day and had to drink at certain times over the course of the evening, finishing around bedtime or so. You CANNOT leave the house. In fact, you almost want to sit next to the bathroom door. I don't want to sound gross, but the second you feel the slightest twinge of anything, get in there. Don't stay at your desk or anywhere else, thinking it's just a little gas and will pass. It's not gas! You will continue to go and drink until there's nothing left but water coming out your back end, and then nothing to drink after midnight. Honestly, I had trouble getting all of that concoction down. I did hear that some doctors will order larger quantities of Dulcolax or something similar, if that's a concern. I will ask to try that next time, but that won't be until 2018...LOL

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 moongirl said:

I would rather have the traditional because if they find a polyp, they can remove it right then.

moongirl

Excellent point, moongirl. My DH and I went for ours a week apart. The doc found polyps on each of us and took care of the, but because of the polyps we're on the 5 yr. plan now.

Respected Contributor

Traditional colonoscopies are so common now, they are often done in a center/doctor's office in about an hour. You are in and out like nothing happened. You can't even get a good mani/pedi in that time. I was having a test done at my docs where they do colonoscopies and over a half dozen people having them came and went while I was there for my 4 hour test. With the traditional one, they can take care of problems when they find them. With the other method, you would have to still have the traditional one putting your body through all of that again. Skip it and just do the real thing!

Honored Contributor

My father was diagnosed with early stage colon cancer that was surgically removed at age 54. Twenty years later, the cancer came back in an advanced stage, and he died from a staph infection 3 weeks after surgery. Due to my high risk, I started colonoscopies early, and am diligent in having these life saving tests---I just had my 3rd colonoscopy in April. I don't enjoy the preps, but I do prefer my colon be viewed by my surgeons trained eye, and anything remotely suspicious be examined or removed at that time, so that there is only one procedure. If I prep for the CT or virtual colonoscopy, and something shows up that needs to be removed, then another procedure has to be scheduled, and I have to do a second prep. I will stick to the traditional colonoscopy procedure. Miralax and Gatorade is my prep of choice; cheaper, and is more palatable than prescription prep kits.