Trusted Contributor

The Debate on Vaccines - on PBS, Wednesday night (tomorrow) 9/10 8 PM

I know there have been some threads and conflict over this topic here on the BB so thought I would pass on that I saw this show mentioned in upcoming weekly notices. Looks like there will be pros and cons presented, risks, benefits, etc.

Anyone really conflicted about vaccines might find it informative and helpful. It does look very interesting.

Also check your local PBS scheduling as I am in PST time zone so the exact time might vary in different parts of the country.

Super Contributor

Re: The Debate on Vaccines - on PBS, Wednesday night (tomorrow) 9/10 8 PM

Thank you for sharing. I want to watch this.
Trusted Contributor

SFC - you are very welcome. I thought many might have a strong interest in watching it. I know I plan to tune in myself.

I had a very personal experience with my youngest son and his 2 year MMR vaccine (who is now all grown up and very successful) yet we sure had some tough challenges back then which no-one knew much about. I'm just grateful that his body seemed to overcome whatever brought his symptoms on (which autistic parents have told me is referred to as ""chelating."")

Back then no-one made any kind of connection to vaccines but mercury was still in all vaccines at that time. I have always been baffled by the whole thing.

Honored Contributor

lol, oh this should be fun! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Seriously though, thanks wackers!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, wackers! I'll be watching, probably more than once. You might want to post this in the Health & Fitness forum too?

It's one of the NOVA series. Here's a link:

"Vaccines—Calling the Shots

Examine the science behind vaccinations, the return of preventable diseases, and the risks of opting out. Airing in full Wednesday night. Check your local listings.

Program description: Diseases that were largely eradicated in the United States a generation ago—whooping cough, measles, mumps—are returning, in part because nervous parents are skipping their children’s shots. NOVA’s “Vaccines—Calling the Shots” takes viewers around the world to track epidemics, explore the science behind vaccinations, hear from parents wrestling with vaccine-related questions, and shed light on the risks of opting out."

link goes to: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/vaccines-calling-shots.html

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

wonder if they will go into the new info on the link between autism and vaccines made from aborted fetal cells that was all over the news today.

Honored Contributor

On 9/9/2014 dooBdoo said:

Thanks, wackers! I'll be watching, probably more than once. You might want to post this in the Health & Fitness forum too?

It's one of the NOVA series. Here's a link:

"Vaccines—Calling the Shots

Examine the science behind vaccinations, the return of preventable diseases, and the risks of opting out. Airing in full Wednesday night. Check your local listings.

Program description: Diseases that were largely eradicated in the United States a generation ago—whooping cough, measles, mumps—are returning, in part because nervous parents are skipping their children’s shots. NOVA’s “Vaccines—Calling the Shots” takes viewers around the world to track epidemics, explore the science behind vaccinations, hear from parents wrestling with vaccine-related questions, and shed light on the risks of opting out."

link goes to: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/vaccines-calling-shots.html

If that's the program outline it sounds like the same old same old.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Dr. Sears, one of the participants, has told his target audience that it's okay if they opt out because their children will be protected due to the fact that the majority DO have their children vaccinated.

If that isn't a mixed message, I don't know what is, to say nothing of the questionable ethics and logic of such a statement.

I really fear for the future of public health in this country.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Sometimes there's a medical reason for opting out, but overall vaccines have kept the majority of the public safe. After the birth of one of our children we were advised not to give him the Pertussis vaccine, for medical reasons. We followed the doctor's advice, but I always worried about the long term ramifications.

As an interesting aside of why we need vaccines....has anyone read about the new respiratory mystery enterovirus EV-D68? Apparently it's hitting kids all across our country and over 1,000 kids in ten states have required hospitalization. The influx of 40,000 illegal alien children coming across our southern border and then being distributed across the country without any kind of health screening is seemingly the source. That's scary! If someone doesn't come up with a vaccine soon, we will have an even worse public health crisis on our hands.

Respected Contributor

Dr. Sears does not care about public health. He just focuses on individuals. He has found a niche and is sticking by it.

Parents who opt out are depending on the rest of us to do the right thing to protect their children. It's a sweet deal.