Honored Contributor

I have recently begun using a cream cleanser. To be specific, Clinique Comforting Cream Cleanser.

I like it a lot and feel it really takes all my makeup off well and doesn't make my skin feel irritated, stripped or dried out.

My question is --- do you need to use a toner or another cleanser afterwards?

My skin feels as though it is clean and I don't seem to be having any problems.

But, I know that with Clinique they want you to use a cream cleanser and then the 3 step program of theirs --- soap, toner and moisturizer.

Is all of this really necessary?

Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Cream Cleanser Question --

You'll get a mixed reaction on this. Some people abide by the double-cleanse theory and others don't want the extra step. What matters is if you are getting the desired results and like what you're using. I do believe a non-astringent toner is important though for returning your skin to the correct pH after cleansing and, depending on your system, it can help some products penetrate better. You don't need to buy Clinique's toner if you don't want to. Thayer's toner is a very good drugstore variety. Also, if you have ever considered Korean skincare, they have something called a "first essence" which is their version of a toner, but contains more skincare ingredients. The Missha First Essence is getting good reviews. I'm currently using Tony Moly and like very much. There are lots of choices out there. As for a moisturizer, lots of people say it's an absolute must, but if you're getting plenty of moisture from everything else you're putting on your face you may not always need a separate moisturizer. Again, you need to evaluate your own situation.

Valued Contributor

I vote toner afterwards, and certainly not a double cleansing especially with Clinique's harsh bar soaps. I like the toners you can get at Paula's Choice (you can chose the formula best for your skin type) and if you want to stay in the Clinique line, she just gave their Even Better Essence Lotion (both formulas) a best rating. I guess you are supposed to use it after toning, but Paula put it in the Toner category.

Valued Contributor

Your going to get a wide variety of opinions on this and it is dependent upon how each person feels about their skin and what works best for them. So, with that said, here is mine:

If I am removing a full face of make up, I use Pond's cold cream to remove the cosmetics. Pond's is cheap and effective for that purpose. Then I also use a creamy cleanser to actually "clean" my face from the residue of the m/u remover. So, yes, I do use a two-step cleansing process. It doesn't take long and my face actually "feels" clean and refreshed.

I only use a toner in the a.m. prior to putting on skincare/cosmetics. Personally, I don't think a toner does anything to restore your face to any significant ph balance, but it does set your face to more readily accept skincare items once absorbed into the face.

It works for me and that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Honored Contributor

I think if your cleanser is doing its' job- which is thoroughly cleansing your skin- then you don't *need* a toner nor should you have to cleanse twice. Personally, if my cleanser isn't removing all my makeup with one wash and without additional products to remove the rest of it, then I'd move on to another cleanser. The cleanser also shouldn't be changing the pH of your skin to the point that you'd have to return it back to its normal pH. Imho, that means your cleanser is too harsh for your skin.

With that said, a good non-drying, alcohol free based toner can be used to apply additional skin ingredients to your skin and soothe your skin so I am not anti-toner at all, I just don't think you should have to use a toner in order to remove makeup because your cleanser doesn't do a good enough job to remove.

Honored Contributor

It might not be the cleanser that changes a person's pH during the cleansing routine, but sometimes can be the water that comes out of their faucet.

Super Contributor

The Comforting Cream Cleanser was one of my favorite cleansers, I stopped using it because of animal testing by Clinique's parent company. I never used any other cleanser after, I did use a damp washcloth to remove the cleanser.

Respected Contributor

Use your cleanser and follow with a toner. If nothing is showing on the cotton pad then you're good.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for all of your replies!

I am so far happy with this product. I may use a gentle toner but not even sure this might be necessary.

I think my skin is probably too mature and sensitive at this point to use a soap afterward. When I was younger and my skin was more oily and stronger, I was a proponent of soap.

Thanks again!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin