Valued Contributor

Retinol - Dr. Gross v.s. Phillip Thomas Roth?

I know I should already be using a retinol product for years now, but have never found one that doesn't make my skin feel sensitive. These 2 retinol products sound like they would be gentle, but I wonder which one is best? I know opinions will vary, but wonder what your experience may be? Hard to make a choice between these two products. Or have you found something else that works? Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Valued Contributor

Re: Retinol - Dr. Gross v.s. Phillip Thomas Roth?

I"ve used the PTR serum and really liked it but didn't reorder when I ran out for some reason. I just ordered the Dr Gross, couldn't pass up the easy pays.

Hoping you get some replies comparing the two.

Respected Contributor

You need to know the percentage of retinol in these products. OTC (over the counter) retinols, will have a low percentage. Retinols by their nature are irritating to the skin.

Best to start with lowest amount and use it sparingly and only once or twice a week.

Better yet, go to a derm that specializes in anti aging. They R the experts on this topic.

Honored Contributor

I used PTR for a long time. I think I'm going to try the 2 oz. from Dr. Gross.

Frequent Contributor

I tried PTR (2 different times) and while it gave me no irritation, it also gave me no results. I felt like I could have been rubbing water on my skin. I've never tried the Dr Gross so cannot comment on that. I like Skinceuticals Retinol.
Honored Contributor

Well, if it matters to you, Dr. Gross is cruelty-free, PTR is not.

My husband really loved the Dr. gross retinol serum and he is not one to fuss with skincare normally. I've since switched him over to another product because it is cheaper and he likes it just as well. He had a dark spot on his neck from sun damage and the Dr. Gross retinol serum completely faded that area.

Trusted Contributor

Go with Dr. Gross. His has great reviews. If you're okay purchasing from Ebay, there is a seller there that offers the 2 oz size for just $60 and free shipping instead of $90 and $6 shipping. I've purchased from this seller before (two bottles). Super affordable.

Respected Contributor

I've used both, and prefer Dr Gross. It feels less oily to me, and PTR is super thin. Both are good, but Dr Gross is my preference.
Trusted Contributor

Have you tried Dr Denese's retinol? it works so well it's in Best category on P'sC. It works so well even Dr Denese suggests skipping nights if (when) you develop sensitivity to retinol I agree with you retinol means sensitive skin. That's why so many dermatologists are suggesting you switch to matrixyl. Dr D's also has antioxidants and soothing agents acc to Paula anyway. I got it in the last really good super sized TSV and love it. But then I also LOVE the eye gel treatment/moisturizer with the cooling wand. They're selling the wands everywhere now, separately. Best of all It is heaven with the Clarisonic Opal. There might be a small try me kit where you can sample the retinol enough days to judge for yourself its effectiveness.

BTW Pau;a loves PTR's pm retinol too. The stinger is that she seems to love just about anything Dr Gross puts out. The goggled reviews weren't so impressed with Gross.

Valued Contributor

I know I'm late responding....ok, embarrassingly late!  I had encephalitis years ago, and it has affected my memory to the point where I will sometimes forget all about things such as posting a Q, and forget to come back & check, & thank everyone who took the time to reply to me.  So...my apologies for being so tardy to my own party here, and thank you so much for your replies.  I had post-poned choosing between these 2, and now I'm intrigued by the post about Dr. Denese's product too, so I plan to also check that out.  Otherwise, I like that Dr. Gross is cruelty-free, and plan to try that one.  I hope Dr. Denese's products are cruelty-free, too.   Anyone know?  Thanks again.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo